lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-19-2011, 02:47 PM   #1
WineStream
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Club Car gas DS stops running on a SIDE incline

I've made my best efforts to research this issue on this forum and others before posting here. But, it seems no matter how hard I search for something, then post, someone comes back within 3 replies and says, "go to this page ..." My apologies ahead of time if this is the case.

I have a 99 DS gas Club Car. There's only minor, dealer installed customizations and I've done no modifications to the governor, speed, etc. The cart has given me no issues until just within the past couple of weeks. It is used on very hilly terrain. It has always hauled the family all around the community with no problems. But I started noticing a slight sputter at the tops of hills when turning to the left at the top. Yeah, weird. I know. To prove to myself that I wasn't crazy, I drove into the back yard which has about a 5% grade to it. The cart will drive straight up and down the hill in forward or reverse no problem. However, a soon as you orient the car with the driver's side lower on the grade than the passenger side, it sputters and comes to a stop. The elec. motor continues to try to start the gas, but it just won't go. If I drive up the hill and turn right (passenger side lower than the driver's) then no problem. I can drive back and forth across the hill in this orientation without problem. But drive up and turn left...sputter to a stop every time.

As soon as the event occurred repeatedly, I checked some things. There's plenty of gas in the line (two see-through filters show plenty of gas). The tank is also filled to more than 1/2. Once maneuvering the cart around by hand and pointing it back down the hill, I can jump in, hit the pedal, and it fires right up.

I took off the carb (even though the problem doesn't indicate the carb as the cause), tore it down, nothing gummy in there, everything's clean and open. I put it back on and everything works like it did before...dies on a side incline. I'm at a loss. I'm a mechanical type of guy, but this one is perplexing. Is there something going on with a governor or something somewhere? Ring any bells to anyone?

Thanks in advance

-Jason
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-19-2011, 02:56 PM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: Club Car gas DS stops running on a SIDE incline

might want to see if somehow when your turning left that its not a cable or wire that might be grounding and cutting power to motor......when this happens if you real quick straten it out or go sharp right will it continue to run?? yes this is an odd one but theres an answer just have to find it...............welcome to BGW............................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:09 PM   #3
ckiguy
Bad *** Speller!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
might want to see if somehow when your turning left that its not a cable or wire that might be grounding and cutting power to motor......when this happens if you real quick straten it out or go sharp right will it continue to run?? yes this is an odd one but theres an answer just have to find it...............welcome to BGW............................
i like this one! i dont like how cc never really put any wire loom at there ends of harnesses, or even on certian harness. dont know what im talking about, look at your black power box and see how the harness is unprotedted going iinto it, but it has loom to about 1/2 to 1 inch before the box. yes the box is plastic, plastic does not conduct electric. but ifthe cut corneres here, where else behind the dash, i coorected, the fuel gauge had no wire loom. the engine was good, but can use some added protection. oh lord dont get me started on the maitaince/foward/reverse switch are!
ckiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:31 PM   #4
WineStream
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

well, that's two votes for an electrical problem. I guess next time I get down to the lake where the cart is, I know which system to start tracing through.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:54 PM   #5
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
Good call Tom but why is the "incline" the issue ? It HAS to be a fueling problem no ? Left side of cart facing downhill = no start ? I'm betting on fuel delivery or the lack thereof. Gravity seems to be the issue here. I'll make a modest wager on a weak pump.

Chris.
invalidsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:00 PM   #6
WineStream
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by invalidsession View Post
Good call Tom but why is the "incline" the issue ? It HAS to be a fueling problem no ? Left side of cart facing downhill = no start ? I'm betting on fuel delivery or the lack thereof. Gravity seems to be the issue here. I'll make a modest wager on a weak pump.

Chris.
Pump? That's a new one for me. I was staring at the line coming out of the TOP of the fuel tank, wondering how things were getting from the tank to the engine. There was a weird thing I've never seen before mounted to the wall near the f-n-r shifter that had a tank in, to-carb out and a third line going to the crankcase??? I assumed this was a vacuum controlled valve.

Is there a submersible pump in the tank? Is it electric? I don't hear it running (never have). Is there a mechanical pump somewhere? Please fill me in.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:23 PM   #7
Rdavis984
Not Yet Wild

That weird thing you seen was the pump. It is vacuum operated off of the crank.
Rdavis984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:17 AM   #8
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

good one chris, i,m not gonna take that bet ......yes thats your fuel pump thats mounted to the side of the tank......it runs by that hose thats going to the engine by vaccume........if you don,t already have put a few see thur fuel filters on and when it acts up take a look at them......also take a good look in your gas tank and make sure you have no crap or water in there that might be causing it.......theres an answer we need to find it......we will.......................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 03:41 PM   #9
WineStream
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

there's a see thru filter in place both before and after the pump. I have already checked to make sure the line to the crankcase is not cracked, broken. When it sputters to a stop, I've immediately checked the filters and they have fuel in them. Nevertheless, maybe there is something down in the tank. How does one remove the "siphon" from the tank? I tried to do this last Sunday but felt as though I'd break something if I pulled any harder.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:13 PM   #10
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I an late chiming in but this is the
order I would try.
Take a helper to push on pedals as you test and a bucket of tools.
when it quits check for spark where it lies.
No spark chafed wire or
I am not sure about this but low oil cut off?
Got spark, pull the line at the carb from your "mystery thing' fuel pump.
Got fuel, my guess is a bad or sticking float.
No fuel, we have to look into oil blocked vacuum line to pump.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car