lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-24-2011, 10:28 AM   #1
milltown
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default radio intall to key switch

I know this has probably been asked somewhere before but I couldn't find it. I plan on installing a radio next weekend and was wondering how to wire it to the key switch. Can I just wire it to the switch instead of battery or do I NEED relays and fuse blocks? If I can't just wire it to the switch I have then I will just wire straight to the battery with an inline fuse. Thanks for the help.
milltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-24-2011, 05:37 PM   #2
Universal_Mechanic
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: radio intall to key switch

IIRC, the keyswitch switches a ground. So you need to run a wire from the "on" side of the key switch to pin 85 of a 30a relay. Pin 86 should be battery 12v+ . So when you turn on the key you are supplying a ground to the relay and turning it on. You can then use pins 87a and 30 of the relay to complete the positive circuit to the radio. If you need help with relays, lemme know, I can prob find a nice diagram for ya at the12V.com
Universal_Mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 05:52 PM   #3
Universal_Mechanic
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: radio intall to key switch

I was just thinking. Last time I did this, I used the 2 extra spots on the fuseblock. Both 10A fuses. One power wire from one fuse to pin 30 of the relay, the other power from the other fuse to pin 85. Then from the keyswitch to pin 86. Then from pin 87 to the radio power. I did something similar for a customer a while ago who wanted the turn signals/brake light/strobe/horn to only work when the key was on and that was the method I used. I just mounted the relay right next to the fuseblock, so then you only need to run two wires to the dash, one to the keyswitch (relay pin 86) and one to the radio (relay pin 87)

Diagram: http://www.teamrocs.com/images/techn...ay_diagram.gif

Last edited by Universal_Mechanic; 06-24-2011 at 05:55 PM.. Reason: added things
Universal_Mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO