lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-30-2011, 09:34 AM   #11
Scottn29
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Replaced points, got spark, but still not turning over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingranch View Post
do yourself a huge favor and while cranking the engine over spray the intake with carb cleaner and see if it tries to start..
If it does gurgle and try to run your carb is the issue..
wd40 works too, just not as good
I will try that tonight, thanks
Scottn29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-30-2011, 09:35 AM   #12
Scottn29
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by worqhors View Post
I am confused. The title says, It does not turn over. Now, which is which? Is it turning just that it does not fire?
You would not be the first person I have confused with the wrong terminology
Old 06-30-2011, 09:39 AM   #13
Scottn29
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Box View Post
Scot,
I think that you can save yourself a huge amount of heartache if you just replace that nasty carburetor. I eventually bit the bullet and replaced mine and the difference in starting, running and top speed made it all worth while.
Dave
I will start looking for one. Do you think that screw there that I was referring too, could be the problem? I know before I took it apart the first time, the carb was getting plenty of gas, enough to flood.

I just got to think about this now. I have the chance to pick up a 85 ezgo for $300 which would have the 2pg in it. I wonder if I am just better off picking that up and working with it now. The guy says it needs engine work, I have no clue what that might be. Could be a head rebuild, could be stater issues. It would suck to spend the $100+ on the carb just for it not to run still, which would prob be my luck :)

So looking at carbs, do I have to find a BV-18? Or can I use one form a 82-87?
Old 06-30-2011, 10:17 AM   #14
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Scot,
Yes absolutely the cart will not run with a bolt instead of a nozzle. As you know my advice has always been to urge caution with the very early 2PG mainly because of the lack of parts. The 85 sounds like a deal as long as it is all there and you know that you can get all the parts.
If it were my decision I would buy a new BV18 carburetor AND the 85 cart. If the carburetor fixes the 79 then sell it as a runner (hopefully at a profit) and then get the 85 running. If it doesn't fix the 79 then fit it to the 85. I rebuilt my 86 using a new everything and I expect it to be a reliable cart for the next 5 - 10 years.
But if you have different ideas then that's also good.
Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:31 AM   #15
Scottn29
Not Yet Wild

I was thinking that I could maybe just replace the pilot jet in it and get it to work. The rest of it seems to be working just fine. The main jet is clean, the needle valve closes when the float is up, I tested by blowing through it and closing the float.

I found the pilot jet last night for 10 bucks or so shipped here

http://www.jrgraham.com/itemdetail.d...l&itm_id=75512

Which is the same brand and the same size it tells me in the manual for my altitude.

I think I am gonna pick up the 85 regardless. As one will eventually get converted to a big block with a new rear end.

Then you can also get a carb rebuild kit for 50 bucks for the BV-18, but I really think the rest of it besides the pilot jet is ok.

So with the bolt there, I just assumed that after I removed it the first time, I tightened it to much and cut off all the air flow to it. With no air going in there, would that be the reason the carb would not flood again like before I pulled it off and cleaned it?

I am looking for new BV-18's and the cheapest I have found so far id $135 plus shipping
Old 07-01-2011, 08:02 AM   #16
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

That all makes sense Scott, it's a shame that someone was so stupid as to drive a bolt into a nozzle hole but it happens. My concern is that they may have stripped the thread or damaged the seat but your investment is small so I hope it works out.

I guess that most advice is based on personal experience and mine was to replace the carburetor so of course to validate my choice that is what I recommend (human nature). As it happens I looked up the price and discovered that the part only fits 82 -87 so my advice that you could use it on both was incorrect. I don't know if you have a BV 18 fitted to your 79 but I think I would get it running if you can and sell it.

Good luck with the 85, they really are solid little carts I would love to find another one to mess with. Don't forget to start a new thread with lots of before and after pictures.

Best regards
Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:35 AM   #17
Scottn29
Not Yet Wild

I agree, it is a shame that this cart was so much of a hack job. I just wish I would have payed alittle more attention and did some research on it before purchasing it, but I was all gung-ho about getting one. If it was a 80's model like he told me it would be alittle different I guess.

My plan for now is if I get this one running, I will take this to my weekend A-frame at this little private community I go to. Then I am picking the 85 up Tuesday, so I will leave the 79 down there for the rest of the year, if I get it going, then get the 85 ready for next year. Then either sell the 79 or convert it to a clone engine and newer rear end. In total, I have alittle over $500 into the 79. If anything I have enjoyed tinkering with it :)

My 79 does have the BV-18 on it. If the new pilot jet does not work, I will see if the 85 has the same BV-18 on it, if the 79's carb gives me problems, and the 85's is the same, I could always try the one form the 85. I am not 100% sure, but I think the BV-24 will work also, as its in the service manual that I have for the EC25DS engine.

I will be sure to post some pics of the new build, as I think it will get a nice complete overhaul. Seems like the place I am buying the 85 from has several carts from this era just sitting and not having anything done to them, they dont do EZGO, mostly Yamaha and Club Car. So who knows, I might come home with more than just the 85, lol.

I will post back next week after the pilot jet comes in and give a update as to if she is running or not. Thanks again Dave, you have been very helpful. Have a good 4th!!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO