lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-01-2011, 06:21 PM   #1
hdchaplain
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Fuel/Carb issues

Running my cart the other night and it start sputtering and quit. I determined it was a fuel pump death since I was getting no gas to the carb or even in the see through filter. So I replaced the fuel pump and now it spits and sputters at low speed but not when I open it up to run faster, Obviously can't run wide open all the time. I adjusted the mixture screw 1 1/2 turns from bottom, couldn't tell that made any difference. Thoughts anyone?
hdchaplain is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-01-2011, 06:31 PM   #2
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Fuel/Carb issues

a lot depends on the engine, to start - what year is the cart, what motor, etc - let us know and we'll be in a lot better position to lead you through some troubleshooting (noone wants to see a guy without a running cart on a holiday weekend so I'll keep an eye out tonight for your answer!)
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 06:57 PM   #3
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Just read through your other posts, I'm assuming this is the same 80's 3-wheeler (which by the way, glad to hear the clutch issues are straightened out) ...

Here's an exploded diagram of the culprit jets that most likely are partially plugged or ? (even with a fuel filter they're still exceptionally succeptible to getting full of goo with these 2-strokers, and your symptoms fit right in with that scenario) - go ahead and pull the carb, the big nut on the bottom of the float bowl has a jet (see diagram) and the main long jets just unscrews easily, also don't forget the jet up top of the carb ... When I pull and clean mine (which I do about 3X a year) I use aerosol carb cleaner with the hard plastic tube, and just blow them clean thoroughly (wear eye protection, TRUST ME) but you can also do a reasonably good job with a fine wire (you just risk scratching or burring the orifices so it becomes more likely to plug up in the future)

Keep us posted, I'll be in and out all night - I FINALLY just got a new headpipe for my 1988 so I'm heading out to replace it before I head into work, been waiting almost a year to find one for my stepchild, oddball one-year cart !!!!
Old 07-01-2011, 07:18 PM   #4
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Old 07-01-2011, 07:54 PM   #5
hdchaplain
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

sorry, I did forget the important stuff didn't I. I never have determined the exact year of my cart, I guess it to be in the 80's. It has a 2pg engine and i keep tweaking things so I am getting closer, but momma's thinking about making me sell it. I don't really want to cause I have too much time and moiney invested in it to give up now. I probably will tackle the carb tomorrow.
I appreciate the diagram. I'll let everyone know how it goes.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:18 PM   #6
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

If it is running wide open then you may just have a blocked slow running nozzle. Unscrewing and cleaning part 15 above is real easy, does not involve removing the carburetor and maybe all you need to do.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 03:35 PM   #7
hdchaplain
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

it seems funny that until I changed the fuel pump it ran pretty good and now all of a sudden it wants to pop and spit and backfire at low speed. If I get it out in the street and open it up it runs pretty darn good. I have cleaned and adjusted everything I know to do, I am ordering a new carb and hope that cures it. I don't suppose the points would cause that at low speed would they?
Old 07-03-2011, 09:37 AM   #8
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

OK, here's a thought based on what you said about the new pump ... I'm not positive due to the age of your cart (if it has points it's a really early model 2PG) BUT when you put the new pump on, is there a chance that something could possibly be interfering with the crankcase pressure that runs it (IE incorrect install, pinched gasket or line, etc) - that would make sense, as at lower RPM's you have less pressure running the pump (which would amplify any problems or blockages to said pressure) but as the RPM's went up, so would the pressure which might be enough to overcome whatever shortfall (leak, blockage, etc) that may be causing the low-speed issue?

Cue Dave here - he's a lot more familiar with the pumps than I am as he's had his torn down, replaced, etc
Old 07-03-2011, 09:23 PM   #9
ScooterMcTavish
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

A completely different thought here.....when my cylinder ran dry (other issues), my plug was fouling, and had issues with the lower speeds.

After the third thorough cleaning of the carb I dropped in a clean plug, and now I have a full range of speeds. This may be coincidence, but a spark plug not firing clean will have a greater impact with missing at lower RPMs.

Hey it's a cheap thing to check!
ScooterMcTavish is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO