lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-04-2011, 01:38 PM   #11
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: stereo installation problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by floresm View Post
Thank u for all the replies i have gotten. Feels good to know i can count in others experiences (knowledge). Again, thanks.

.....i knew a few would come thur........................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-04-2011, 02:42 PM   #12
OlManRivah
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitreborn View Post
lAnd ALWAYS use a quality radio to begin with.... All of my installs are now done using Alpine Head units... for some reason they seem to work better.
That is true. Some radios are just better avoiding RF. Sometimes it doesn't take a high priced rig, just one that can handle the RF. The quality of the signal is helpful too. This can sometimes be a challenge, but, is solvable.

Good Luck!
OlManRivah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 06:29 PM   #13
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlManRivah View Post
That is true. Some radios are just better avoiding RF. Sometimes it doesn't take a high priced rig, just one that can handle the RF. The quality of the signal is helpful too. This can sometimes be a challenge, but, is solvable.

Good Luck!
yeah, the alpine units I use aren't the most expensive.... usually around $150 for the unit
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 05:39 PM   #14
SKUNKVILLE SCOOTER
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by madoc1 View Post
in a post in the gas forum, king ranch said he had a similar problem and picked up some thing called a ground loop isolator at best buy and this cured it. check his post to be sure of the name. he did it in the last week.

and welcome to BGW!
I'll be interested to hear how well this works.

Did a Google search and 'Ground Loop Isolator Best Buy' came up....
SKUNKVILLE SCOOTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:23 PM   #15
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Simalar symptoms in my cart. AM is useless, but that's usually not a problem unless I want to listen to a Bear game. CD and iPod are clear as a bell. FM was almost perfect until I installed my PQ upgraded motor. Now I hear the controller on FM unless I am at WOT. I am using the pack as my 12v source, and I live with the noise as most of the time we use it sitting still and it's not an issue.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:13 AM   #16
floresm
Not Yet Wild

Will try the ground loop isolator from best buy. Interference is on bith radio mode and ipod mode. Doesnt matter what is on when the cart is accelerated the radio volume dies down.
floresm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:02 AM   #17
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quite frankly, I have never heard of one giving feedback on the Ipod or CD settings... it may be a bad radio.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:21 AM   #18
OlManRivah
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by floresm View Post
Doesnt matter what is on when the cart is accelerated the radio volume dies down.
Sounds like the RF is affecting the amp. Can you tell us more about your system. Does it have a separate amp or a single unit with radio, amp, and CD. Maybe with an Ipod jack?

Take a portable radio out to your cart. Does the RF affect it?
OlManRivah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 03:41 PM   #19
floresm
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the replies. This system installed is a single unit with radio, amp and cd. It does have a mp3/ipad jack.
When I accelerate the radio sound dies down . As mentioned before i thought maybe the battery was drawing too much electricity when i accelerated so i decided to install one separate battery for the radio by it self. i connected the radio to its own battery but still get electric interference when i accelerate. the cart is a 48v, 4 system battery. i am not getting interference when the golf cart is idle. i can get almost any radio station, can play the mp3 without any interference. it must be electrical current interference i am getting.
any help out there.
mark
floresm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:15 AM   #20
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Would have replied sooner, but been on vacation

New to carts, but I chased down a few RFI/EMI problems when I worked with the 37 acre circular disposed antenna array (AN/FLR-9V at RAF Chicksands, UK) pictured in my avatar and insuring RFI/EMI didn't alter the performance, or disable, the medical devices I subsequently maintained before retiring.

I haven't installed any radio or audio equipment in my cart yet, but I see two huge sources of electrical noise/interference. The motor and the controller.

Brush type motors generate a lot of electrical noise and so do chopper type current controllers. I haven't seen, nor looked for, any significant RFI/EMI shielding or filtering in my cart (2008 TXT PDS) and I doubt if FCC part 15 rules apply to golf carts, so there probably isn't much, if any. Trying to shield or filter out the interference at the source would be both difficult and expensive, so shielding/filtering the radio/audio equipment is the way to go.

There are two ways that RFI/EMI gets into your radio/audio equipment, through the air and through the power line. Shielding is used to block the through the air mode and is more or less part of the design rather than something that can be done after the fact. That leaves power line filtering and lead dressing (IE: Cable routing)

Simply stated, the power lines to your radio/audio devices serve as an antenna for RFI and/or the secondary of a transformer for EMI.

*Route the power cables as far away from the motor and controller as possible.
*If power lines to Radio/audio equipment must cross motor/controller power cables, do so at 90 degree angles. At least, do not run them side by side for any significant length.
*Use a twisted pair for the power line to the radio/audio device. Also, shielded cables (coaxial) might work if the current draw of the device isn't too high.
*Install a power line filter (DC type) as close to the power input as possible.
*Power radio/audio equipment from separate (totally isolated) battery.
*Use a 2-wire power cable rather than frame ground.

As previously mentioned, some radios and audio amps are less susceptible to electrical noise than others, so pick one designed for a high RFI/EMI environment. My guess would be marine rather than automobile type.

Hope this helps,
John

ADDED: Just reread your symptoms of radio dying down when accelerating. I suspect the brushes in your motor are arcing more when under load and as a result, putting out more RFI, which in turn is saturating the input stages of your radio. Not much can be done about that other than doing something to keep the arcing down. Replace brushes maybe???? (I don't know - Just guessing)

Last edited by JohnnieB; 07-09-2011 at 10:28 AM.. Reason: added comments
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
stereo
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO