lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-29-2011, 08:57 AM   #1
tykuhn
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default EZGO 2 Cycle dies unexpectedly

I've had this problem for some time. The engine dies without warning and will not start until it sets for a while (cools down). I have cleaned the carb several times, replaced the dip tube in the gas tank, replaced the gas lines (3), new fuel pump, new fuel filter, new coil, new spark plug, new spark plug wire. What am I missiing?

In reading previous threads I see vapor lock as a possibility and crankshaft seals as a possibility.

This runs for several days just fine and then without warning, while driving, it dies and will not start (the starter turns over it just doesn't start) until it sets about an hour. It runs strong when it runs but it strands me occasionally.

Any suggestions?
tykuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-29-2011, 12:37 PM   #2
mbinko
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: EZGO 2 Cycle dies unexpectedly

Maybe ignition module. I don't see that listed as something you replaced. Check charging system and make sure the voltage is not too high. As this might cause the module to overheat and cut off.

Mike
mbinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:42 PM   #3
WGW Foods
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Do you have spark at the time it will not start?
WGW Foods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 01:23 PM   #4
tykuhn
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Yes, have spark. Compression is 120.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:59 PM   #5
nomo
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

When it dies, have you checked to see if fuel is actually getting to the carb? Pull the line off, put it in a cup and crank it. See if fuel comes out. Have you checked the gas cap. The vent could be clogged. Next time it dies, open the cap and try it again.
nomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:56 PM   #6
tykuhn
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Yes, it has fuel. Something of note though, I can get it to start in reverse and when it does start, I can then get it to go in forward. Strange huh?
Old 10-13-2011, 01:33 PM   #7
fordnatic
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Did you actually check to see if fuel is pumping out of the line feeding the carb while cranking over.
fordnatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 01:51 PM   #8
Gearhead1956
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo View Post
When it dies, have you checked to see if fuel is actually getting to the carb? Pull the line off, put it in a cup and crank it. See if fuel comes out. Have you checked the gas cap. The vent could be clogged. Next time it dies, open the cap and try it again.
Did you take these steps when the engine died and was still hot?? You could also pour a little gas in top of carb. If you have done all this and still does not start its not fuel related.
From your last post, I'm thinking spark issue. If its true it will start in reverse when it will not start in forward I would be looking at the f/r switch.
Two stroke engines are very simple, they don't even care if they run backwards.
air,fuel,spark that's all they need.
I would try bypassing f/r switch and see what happens.
Let us know what works, good luck
Gearhead1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 04:23 PM   #9
Plumbergs
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I agree with gearhead. I had pretty much the same issue recently. Would crank and run for a while, then go dead and refuse to start again until some time had passed. When I took the plug out and checked it by holding it against the block it appeared to be firing fine.. So I orignally thought it was flooding out due to too much fuel. After tearing the carb apart and checking the float level, needle seat, etc like ten times I finally started to suspect that it was a spark issue again (even though it was firing outside the cylinder, maybe it was too weak to fire inside). Just for the heck of it, I swapped the coil from my John Deere lawn tractor to see if it made a difference and it actually solved the problem. It never died again and always fires up instantly. Might be worth checking into.
Plumbergs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 04:47 PM   #10
Gearhead1956
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Yep, that is true, A coil will usually start breaking down under heat and test fine when cold. But in this case he stated it will start in reverse. I'm thinking the f/r switch is getting hot and maybe grounding out.
Gearhead1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO