lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-31-2011, 04:46 PM   #1
juicefree43
Not Yet Wild

Default 2005 EZGO Governor?

I purchased a 2005 Lifted EZGO from a guy who had it done through the factory. It already has a speed chip but here is the kicker.

If i go and turn the golf cart key to on and step on the gas the cart will only travel about 3mph. Next i have to remove my foot from the gas turn the key to off, then back to on, the cart will beep two times and then it will run full speed.

Its a pain in the butt each time i come to a stop that it won't go any faster and i have to keep turning the key on and off.

How can i remove this "safety" feature?

Thanks
juicefree43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-31-2011, 05:12 PM   #2
juicefree43
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 2005 EZGO Governor?

Also...when the car is in the "safety" mode it beeps three times then a pause...then repeats. The same beep as when you put the cart in reverse. How can I turn that off too?
Old 10-31-2011, 05:51 PM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Take a peek at the label on the controller cover, the fault codes are listed there.

3 beeps pause 3 beeps means the solenoid did not engage, which doesn't make much sense since the cart moves at 3MPH.

The cart doesn't happen to be on a hill? (Walkaway safety limits cart to 2-3MPH and beeps.)

Download Owners and Service manuals from STICKY: at top of this forum. Lots of good info in them.

Might be more than one problem.
What is your battery pack voltage?
What size tire are on cart? (Stock PDS controllers don't like big tire)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:05 PM   #4
juicefree43
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Take a peek at the label on the controller cover, the fault codes are listed there.

3 beeps pause 3 beeps means the solenoid did not engage, which doesn't make much sense since the cart moves at 3MPH.

The cart doesn't happen to be on a hill? (Walkaway safety limits cart to 2-3MPH and beeps.)

Download Owners and Service manuals from STICKY: at top of this forum. Lots of good info in them.

Might be more than one problem.
What is your battery pack voltage?
What size tire are on cart? (Stock PDS controllers don't like big tire)
My neighbor is using my car this evening to take his kids trick or treating. When I bought the cart from this guy a few months back he said there was a governor on it. If the governor is on it beeps. If i turn the key off, then right back on the beeping goes away and it runs fine.

The cart will beep if the key is on, and its not moving with the parking break on. It's weird.

This started when I was checking to see what mode the cart was in...if it beeped to tell me the freedom chip was working:

To enter PDS diagnostics mode turn the key switch off, move the run/tow switch to run, move the direction switch from neutral to reverse 5 times. Your cart will beep to confirm you are in diagnostics mode. Soon after, the carts diagnostics code will beep out your code if there is a problem. After receiving your beep code move the run/tow switch to tow.

It might be stuck in diagnostic mode?
Old 10-31-2011, 06:18 PM   #5
juicefree43
Not Yet Wild

FIXED...

The cart was still in diagnostic mode. I moved the switch to tow, then back to run and the problem is solved.

Now to figure out how to disengage the governor.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:19 PM   #6
juicefree43
Not Yet Wild

The beeping is now gone. I need to figure out how to turn off this governor so it keeps me from having to turn the key on and off to go faster.

Any help here would be great...thank you!
Old 11-01-2011, 06:19 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicefree43 View Post
The beeping is now gone. I need to figure out how to turn off this governor so it keeps me from having to turn the key on and off to go faster.

Any help here would be great...thank you!
The reason nobody is telling you how to turn the "Governor" off is because nobody knows what that "Safety Feature" is, much less how to turn it on or off.

I don't know everything there is to know about PDS carts by any means, but I suspect that either a previous owner somehow managed to figured out how to re-program a Curtis 1206MX controller and added a "Feature" that didn't exist, or your cart is malfunctioning.

Since the latter is most likely, I suggest you follow the Troubleshooting Tree in the Service Manual (I previously suggested you download) while the cart is in its "Governor" mode.

Hint: The controller was Beeping at you while it was in the Diagnostic mode, so it was trying to tell you something is wrong with it internally, or that it was detecting a problem in the circuits feeding it.

When everything is working properly, the only time you'll hear Beeps is when the F/R switch is in the R position and when the cart begins rolling while the throttle pedal is up.
The same is true in the Diagnostic mode after the initial beep sequence telling you what chip is installed.

The problem could be something as simple as loose/corroded connection or something expensive like a bad controller.

The good news is that the problem is repeatable and predictable, so it should be fairly easy to find.
John
Old 11-01-2011, 08:59 AM   #8
juicefree43
Not Yet Wild

Thumbs up Re: 2005 EZGO Governor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
The reason nobody is telling you how to turn the "Governor" off is because nobody knows what that "Safety Feature" is, much less how to turn it on or off.

I don't know everything there is to know about PDS carts by any means, but I suspect that either a previous owner somehow managed to figured out how to re-program a Curtis 1206MX controller and added a "Feature" that didn't exist, or your cart is malfunctioning.

Since the latter is most likely, I suggest you follow the Troubleshooting Tree in the Service Manual (I previously suggested you download) while the cart is in its "Governor" mode.

Hint: The controller was Beeping at you while it was in the Diagnostic mode, so it was trying to tell you something is wrong with it internally, or that it was detecting a problem in the circuits feeding it.

When everything is working properly, the only time you'll hear Beeps is when the F/R switch is in the R position and when the cart begins rolling while the throttle pedal is up.
The same is true in the Diagnostic mode after the initial beep sequence telling you what chip is installed.

The problem could be something as simple as loose/corroded connection or something expensive like a bad controller.

The good news is that the problem is repeatable and predictable, so it should be fairly easy to find.
John

The guy told me that EZGO installed the governor when he ordered it from them. Its not a huge deal, but it can become cumbersome everytime you come to a stop you have to turn the key off then back on to make it go full speed. I did download the manual and will take a look at it this week. Thanks for the advice
Old 11-01-2011, 10:56 AM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicefree43 View Post
The guy told me that EZGO installed the governor when he ordered it from them.
That's a new one on me, but I'm sorta new with carts.
Maybe someone with more experience has some knowledge about it and will chime in.

If E-Z-GO installed it, perhaps a phone call to them will provide the answer.

Also, waterboarding the previous owner might glean more info about it.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:50 PM   #10
Legendary Golf Carts
Gone Wild

put the cart back into diagnostic. After it is in diagnostic, start driving, record the number and pattern of beeps, and then read the label on the cover until the beep code you got has a match. Tell us the beep code and the problem, make sure the cart is moving because some beep codes require the cart to be driving to diagnose.
Legendary Golf Carts is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO