lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-03-2013, 04:35 PM   #1
lowhd01
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default EZ-GO torque

Hey all, I need some suggestions on torque for my new (06 ez-go refurbished) cart. It is lifted, 22"tires and I have already done the clutch spring kits and constant run kit. I took it out to the woods the other day to cut firewood and I am not really impressed with the outcome. It still gets hung up going over small limbs and is not impressive at all for hills. It just seems like it should have more power. If i put the pedal to the floor it just seems like its bogged down. (while trying to go uphill or over obsicles) I have already turned the govenor up also. I am not concerned with top end nearly as much as bottom end. I have had other ez-gos that have produced a lot better than this one. And my club car experiences have always outperformed ez-go by a mile. I have even considered going van-gaurd but really dont want to discard my perfectly good stock engine.
lowhd01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-04-2013, 04:51 PM   #2
rutro
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZ-GO torque

Hey Lowhd01,
You say you did the clutch spring kit. Did you go with a new belt also? Something like the Erlandson Severe Duty? http://www.erlandsontechnology.com/D...p/dbez2328.htm
rutro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:15 PM   #3
lowhd01
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the reply... I did not do the belt. I will give it a try. Should I do a shorter belt also? It seems like with the clutch springs, on the rear clutch, the belt always stays right at the top. is that right? I do have good top speed.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:55 PM   #4
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Part of the problem is you have a 9-11hp motor running a belt drive. From a dead stop it is tough for it to "engage" the clutches enough to get moving. Once they bite, they pull pretty well. A new belt may fix your problem.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:16 AM   #5
Madman415
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The belt staying "up at the top" on the rear clutch is exactly what you want for torque. The longer it stays up at the top the better. It will come down and give you "high gear" so to speak when it can

I hate the idea of the shorter belt. I pull thousands of pounds more then any golf cart should ever have to pull and use the stock size belt with upgraded clutches. Belts last me "years" as well
Madman415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:42 PM   #6
lowhd01
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Awesome, thanks for the replies yall. I have ordered the belt mentioned above and ready to give it a shot. I was messing with it today and noticed that currenly, the driven clutch always turns. Im thinking that its because the old belt has lost its ability to hold a shape (if that makes sense) and its just resting on the inside of the drive clutch, causing it to constantly grip enough to turn the rear. The idle is set way before the clutch engages, so i know that isnt it.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:01 AM   #7
tplasek
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

One more thing to look into is a service offered by Carts Parts Plus where they machine the driven clutch which makes the two halves of the clutch pulley come closer together. I had this done and at the same time CPP installed the 28 degree helix into the driven clutch before they returned it.

I have a large drainage ditch to play in. Before this mod the cart would struggle to climb out of the ditch and I would have to take the incline at an angle. After this mod, the only restriction is now traction. The cart will now spin the tires before is stalls the clutch. I also routinely tow flatbed and car trailers around the property with the cart. Still only 9hp but now a 9hp with a much lower starting gear ratio.

Tim
tplasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:53 PM   #8
Madman415
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tplasek View Post
One more thing to look into is a service offered by Carts Parts Plus where they machine the driven clutch which makes the two halves of the clutch pulley come closer together. I had this done and at the same time CPP installed the 28 degree helix into the driven clutch before they returned it.

I have a large drainage ditch to play in. Before this mod the cart would struggle to climb out of the ditch and I would have to take the incline at an angle. After this mod, the only restriction is now traction. The cart will now spin the tires before is stalls the clutch. I also routinely tow flatbed and car trailers around the property with the cart. Still only 9hp but now a 9hp with a much lower starting gear ratio.

Tim

It's quite amazing what these little engines can pull with the proper gearing.
Madman415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:03 PM   #9
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I agree. If you look at the math, coming off of idle you have roughly a 10 to 1 from the clutch driving the rear gear then it is driving a 12 to 1 axle.. Is that 120 to 1 ??
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:41 PM   #10
lowhd01
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I would love to have the clutch machining done but, im gonna see what this new belt does first because I dont want down time just yet. What exactly gets machined on the clutch?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO