lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-12-2013, 10:58 AM   #1
camaro4516
Not Yet Wild

Default 87 marathon runs very slow

I have a 87 marathon gx444 2 smoker that will start and run put it is slow. Compression is 120. Governor is not hooked up. The needle on top of the carb is stopped up. New belt. On jack stands the clutch at the motor moves but the one on the rear end doesnt. It was froze. Got it working but its like the motor doesnt have enough power to open it up. I can get a new carb off ebay for 80.00. Not really sure which way to go.
camaro4516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-12-2013, 12:48 PM   #2
vince362291
Getting Wild

Default Re: 87 marathon runs very slow

Does the motor sound right with out the belt to the rear hooked up
vince362291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:25 PM   #3
camaro4516
Not Yet Wild

Just took it down the rode. Motor sounds good. But you could walk faster than it was going. The clutch that bolts to the rearend is not opening up. Could that be a problem?? Thanks.....
Old 09-12-2013, 02:27 PM   #4
Ninjaneer
Not Yet Wild

The driven clutch (one connected to the axle) should react to the drive clutch (the one on the engine).

I was mixed up, below is wrong.
{If the belt does not start slipping, I would guess the drive clutch is the problem. It should close at higher RPM.}

Last edited by Ninjaneer; 09-12-2013 at 05:09 PM.. Reason: Mixup
Ninjaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:46 PM   #5
vince362291
Getting Wild

I'm leaning towards the driven clutch you said it was frozen it might be still stuck in low gear but ninja is right if the drive clutch isn't working right then the driven clutch wouldn't
vince362291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:06 PM   #6
Ninjaneer
Not Yet Wild

I had a mind mixup. At low RMP the drive clutch surfaces should be apart and at higher RPM the surfaces should come together, but they might not be able to if the driven clutch is still difficult to move. I am with Vince, I think its the driven clutch.
Ninjaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:05 PM   #7
redcloud
Gone Wild

Driven clutch probably has a broken or very warn ramp and no buttons left. I would think if it was froze that even the sleeve may be toasted. probably when you say you are going slow it is because the belt is not dropping down to give higher gear. Remove driven clutch and rebuild if poss but probably not so you will be looking at a new one.
redcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:28 PM   #8
camaro4516
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for all the help guys. When I first got it, it would hardly roll (took 2 people) we unstuck the clutch connected to the rear end and put it back on it rolled great!! Like a normal cart should. This is my third cart. Anyway as soon as I moved it under power it got hard to roll again. Remove the belt and it rolls like a dream. Its got to be the clutch connected to the rear end???? This is driving me crazy!!!!!
Old 09-13-2013, 04:31 PM   #9
camaro4516
Not Yet Wild

Took the driven clutch back off. Ran motor, runs like a scalded as ape. Drive clutch goes in and out very easily. I can push the driven clutch but how hard should it be to push down?? Thanks again....
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO