lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-15-2014, 12:58 PM   #1
rhpltclm
Not Yet Wild

Question Replace both clutches?

I just got a 85 marathon. The drive clutch is rattling like crazy and needs to be replaced. It has a clutch that doesn't resemble any of the other clutches I have looked at, so rebuild is out of the question. I found the replacement and going to order it. My question is do I also need to rebuild/replace the driven clutch as well. If I'm going to replace it, will a driven clutch for the 89-94 models work or do I just need to order the original one the 77-88 driven clutch? If rebuilding, what part #'s are needed as I can't find anything on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
rhpltclm is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-15-2014, 01:25 PM   #2
Younggun
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Replace both clutches?

I was told to inspect the rear, grab the two sheave halves and twist them until they separate as they do when "shifting" then release them, if it springs back together then at least you know the spring is functioning. Take a good look at the belt surface and determine if there are wear grooves in it anywhere etc.

for what it is worth, I replaced my drive clutch and kept the driven one. I just pulled the driven off today to stiffen the spring up and found that the ramp buttons inside were shot and because it has been that way awhile , i would guess, it also chewed up the ramps on the cam helix hub as well.:thumb down: so If the drive clutch is that messed up i would bet the driven one isn't a whole lot better. just my .02 good luck
Younggun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:40 PM   #3
redcloud
Gone Wild

I would pop off the driven and do an inspection as stated the ram and buttons may be shot and you could have a warn out spring. Then again you may be able to just get a new ramp, buttons and spring if the shieves are not shot.
If the button sockets are warn from the ramp hitting then I would go with new driven clutch also. Not a cheap deal as you already know but then it is golf cart and a wallet hitting fun toy like a jeep...I know I have both.
redcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:03 PM   #4
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I am unsure, but I thought one of our sponsors did rebuilds. Maybe it was Plowman's that did clutch rebuilds. I would look through the sponsor list and make a few phone calls before laying out the cash for new.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:43 AM   #5
rhpltclm
Not Yet Wild

I will order the drive clutch and while I have it tore down, I will inspect the driven with the recommendations that you all have offered. Thanks for the comments, suggestions and etc.....
Old 08-20-2014, 03:08 PM   #6
rhpltclm
Not Yet Wild

Well got a replacement clutch and it works fairly well. The problem i'm having is hills. It almost comes to a stop going up hills now. I know you can tune the clutch and I have tinkered with changing the spring and adding more weight etc. I can not figure out what the best combo is. What is the factory settings? spring color and weights used? Best combo anyone can suggest? Any help and combo would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 08-20-2014, 04:05 PM   #7
inmars
Not Yet Wild

The bushings also wear out too with prevent the outer halves of the clutches to slide correctly which causes binding under pressure. I'm not sure if you can buy them separately though.
inmars is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO