lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-11-2014, 03:32 PM   #1
thirstyone
Not Yet Wild

Default 05 ez go coil problem vs. bad motor?

Wife noted cart ran rough and quit. ran again later then same. checked oil and VERY low and almost black. Put oil in and cleaned off engine compartment quick with hose and wouldn't run. Got it running by taking air filter off but runs rough. replaced air and fuel filters and spark plugs. still runs rough and putters out after a few blocks. Seems to be missing (has 2 cylinders). noticed one plug sparking faster and more intense but no improvement changing plugs when testing spark over exhaust manifold. with fresh plugs one seems get extra hot and blackened while one looks wet on recheck. Not smart to run low oil or spray off engine I know but need insight on if this sounds like a torched motor or if there is anything to the assymetrical coil firing before purchasing replacement.? Wow, lengthy 1st post but wanted to give good history.
Any input or comments appreciated, Thanks.
thirstyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-12-2014, 01:53 PM   #2
hugger6933
Getting Wild

Default Re: 05 ez go coil problem vs. bad motor?

Welcome to the site, I'm kinda new as well but have stepped in to help out when I can. The thing about one plug firing hotter that the other bothers me as both should fire at the same. Maybe a compression test is in order just to see what is going on in the cylinder holes. Also a valve adjustment can't hurt anything they always like those. Try those and a fresh oil change to see if anything helps before looking for rebuilders for the motor. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:28 PM   #3
thirstyone
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Jim, Compression test confirmed one of two cylinders is bad as zero compression. Not sure what to do now. I suspect I may have to get what I can for the cart 'as is' or see if I can trade to dealer on a newer used one. I suspect rebuild cost would be as much as a new used cart....
Anyway, I appreciate your input and this board is a great resource.

Bob.
thirstyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:30 PM   #4
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

Check out engine swap options, Vegas Carts has Honda clone motors for a GREAT price, and they're set up just for golf carts.
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:34 PM   #5
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Check your valves first. You may have one not closing completely. Should be set to .004
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO