lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-21-2015, 09:41 PM   #1
07Precedent
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Clutch Problem?

Guys let me start by saying im a newb to this site and to carts for the most part. I will say that I'm very mechanical and can fix just about anything.

The background on the cart is we recently got an 07 Precedent from Santa. Once I got it, I noticed the clutch looked like something had leaked out of it (See pic below). The other day my son and I were riding it and it kinda sounded like metal on metal almost like a bearing going out. Im not sure if it was from the clutch or not but I am assuming it was given the look of the clutch. I took a pic for you all to see. Any thoughts or ideas will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

clutch.jpg
07Precedent is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-21-2015, 09:56 PM   #2
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Default Re: Clutch Problem?

Welcome to BGW 07!

Straight up? CC drive clutches don't have any lube or anything that will leak from them, they're designed to run dry!

To me? that looks like road salt, or battery acid! (all though the battery is on the opposite side)

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 10:05 PM   #3
07Precedent
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Lock I appreciate the quick response and I'm glad to know it isn't something that's leaked out. I'm not 100% on the friction because it isn't something I heard but something I felt (if you know what I mean). Any ideas what to check?

Also at start off if your trying to just idle along it tends to run then stop then run then stop. Once you give it a little more throttle it will smooth out and run. Its just low speeds that it gets a feel like a switch is kicking on and off which i dont hear any clicking. Could it be a carb issue?

Thanks again
Old 03-22-2015, 07:57 AM   #4
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Does the engine turn on and off at low speeds?
or does it "feel like" the drive belt (or something) is slipping?
Old 03-22-2015, 09:25 AM   #5
07Precedent
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

It turns off and on at low speeds like there is a spot in the throttle response that it will not constantly run, like i said you give it a little more gas she runs fine with no problems. Its just easing out of the drive way when your not "mashing on it". Kinda irritating because to me when the switch trips it should run at a very low speed rather than on and off; on and off and so on.

Its probably something simple but I didnt want to take the carb off you guys didn't think that was the problem.

Thanks again for all your help.

Hatcher
Old 03-22-2015, 09:43 AM   #6
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

It sounds like a throttle cable adjustment...
does the cart cruise pretty fast? (17-19 mph) stock setting is 14-15 mph
Old 03-22-2015, 10:06 AM   #7
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

I just realized that you may have a GCOR for the throttle workings... I know nothing about them!
Old 03-22-2015, 11:07 AM   #8
07Precedent
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

It seems pretty quick, not sure exactly and it does have a GCOR box. Not exactly sure how it works but would think it its electrical it would do it through out the throttle range rather than just at low speed. It very well could be the box i guess but wasn't sure if it could be a carb issue
Old 03-22-2015, 09:24 PM   #9
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Has the vehicle been adjusted to go faster? More often than not when people attempt to speed up a Club Car Precedent they end up losing the ability to go slow. They are very sensitive to cable adjustments. When you try and adjust the speed under the floormat you've got to be careful not to go too far with it or you'll have this problem as the end result. What actually happens is the following: You begin to press the accelerator pedal and the cable begins to open the butterfly on the carburetor before the microswitch in the GCOR closes and makes the solenoid close. Because of this, you've opened the butterfly enough to let more air into the engine than you would need to go slow. You decide you're going too fast so you begin to back off of the pedal and the solenoid opens again, shutting the engine down, so you hit the pedal again to try to go, and the solenoid closes again and it jerks forward quickly again because you're sucking in too much air. This modification works great at high speeds. It makes it go fast, but you move your entire range of speed higher and lose the low. The best way I've found to fix it is to remove the GCOR and drill out the mounting holes to 3/8". I then, re-install the GCOR while twisting it counter clockwise as much as I can while tightening the mounting bolts. Use washers. They'll fall through the holes if you dont. This modification will make the GCOR click at a much high point in the pedal range than it did before, and your result will be low speed without sacrificing the top speed you've adjusted your car to run.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 10:07 PM   #10
07Precedent
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

David thanks for the informative response. Like i said it was a gift from "Santa" and so I dont know what was done before we got it. Im not sure I follow what your saying about the box right off cause Im not sure how it works. I will try and dive off into it and see what I can come up with but again thanks for your response.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car