lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-05-2015, 03:00 PM   #1
Kizyle
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Drive clutch trouble shooting

What's up guys, I recently bought a gas 98 club car carryall VI. Just finished up with a tune up and noticed I'm still having clutch problems. I believe it's the clutch assembly with the fixed sheave and generator pulley? Sometimes after I turn over the key and press the gas pedal, the rpms don't see to go up (checked my cables and there good). When the clutch engages it is very jerky in forward and reverse. When I'm driving and release the gas pedal you can here the clutch make a pop noise (don't know if that's normal). Just trying to get some advice or troubleshooting help before I buy the clutch assembly. Thanks
Kizyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-05-2015, 09:55 PM   #2
villebacker
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Drive clutch trouble shooting

If you pull your clutch and send to Cart Parts Plus (http://www.cartpartsplus.com/) he can machine your drive clutch for $49.99 which will give you approximately an additional 4 mph. In the process he will replace any additional worn parts when he reassembles for just the price of the parts. If you also want more low end torque you can send the driven clutch to be machined also. Same price for machining. I have done this on my cart and a friends cart also and was pleased with the results.

I was able to get both clutches machined and rebuilt for less money than just buying the drive clutch.

Good luck.
villebacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 11:25 AM   #3
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizyle View Post
What's up guys, I recently bought a gas 98 club car carryall VI. Just finished up with a tune up and noticed I'm still having clutch problems. I believe it's the clutch assembly with the fixed sheave and generator pulley? Sometimes after I turn over the key and press the gas pedal, the rpms don't see to go up (checked my cables and there good). When the clutch engages it is very jerky in forward and reverse. When I'm driving and release the gas pedal you can here the clutch make a pop noise (don't know if that's normal). Just trying to get some advice or troubleshooting help before I buy the clutch assembly. Thanks
This doesn't sound like a clutch problem. When your motor is spinning and the rpms don't increase, your motor is not running on it's own power, it is only being spun by the starter/generator via electric power. Many people make this mistake and think that their motor is running but it's not. The motor internals are simply being spun by the starter/generator in the same way that a starter in a car does.

Your problem sounds more like a carburetor issue.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 11:09 PM   #4
villebacker
Gone Wild

Yamaha

He talked about when he was driving and the engaging and disengaging of clutch so it sounds like it is starting. My clutch won't engage with just starter turning. It still sounds like a clutch problem.
villebacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 11:21 AM   #5
Kizyle
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Hey guys sorry for the delay, I just finished up painting and reupholstering the seats. So firstly, I was unsure but my neighbor said my cart is only supposed to be running when I give it gas(is he right)? Basically when I put my key in the ignition I have on (straight up position) then run (all the way to the right). When I turn my key all the way to the right it "starts up" and I can see the generator belt going. Sometimes when I try and put the pedal down (giving it gas) I get no response/ or increase in rpm/or clutch engaging to go. I checked my cables and all of them work. I even was pulling the cable by hand in the engine compartment to double check and it still was not responding. The clutch when it engages do take a second to engage, almost like it grabs at high rpms/full throttle. It also makes a loud pop noise when it goes back to the original starting position. When it goes/grabs it basically throws you back in the seat and jerks you good (forward and reverse). Just wondering my options? Can I upload a video on here to show you guys. And once again thanks again for all your help.

Kyle
Old 04-09-2015, 01:44 PM   #6
Left Coast Kiteboarding
Gone Wild

Club Car

My clutch had the herky jerky like that. I took it all apart, replaced the wear items and reassembled it. Made a massive improvement. Stuff was just sticking and not moving smoothly. Easy job and made us real happy.
Left Coast Kiteboarding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 03:08 PM   #7
Kizyle
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Coast Kiteboarding View Post
My clutch had the herky jerky like that. I took it all apart, replaced the wear items and reassembled it. Made a massive improvement. Stuff was just sticking and not moving smoothly. Easy job and made us real happy.
That sounds like a great idea. Any threads or DYI on how to remove the clutch and fix it? You know what stuff I need? Pretty sure I've heard of a clutch puller screw/bolt that's necessary?
Old 04-09-2015, 07:21 PM   #8
Kizyle
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by villebacker View Post
If you pull your clutch and send to Cart Parts Plus (http://www.cartpartsplus.com/) he can machine your drive clutch for $49.99 which will give you approximately an additional 4 mph. In the process he will replace any additional worn parts when he reassembles for just the price of the parts. If you also want more low end torque you can send the driven clutch to be machined also. Same price for machining. I have done this on my cart and a friends cart also and was pleased with the results.

I was able to get both clutches machined and rebuilt for less money than just buying the drive clutch.

Good luck.
That sounds amazing, I'm pretty sure this is my route! I'm going to try and send in both clutches and get the power kit and 200 RPM spring kit. By installing the spring kit and I running the risk of hurting the engine meaning I'm going to need an RPM/tachometer now?
Old 04-09-2015, 07:25 PM   #9
Bigburls
Not Yet Wild

How did you get bolt loose? Turn left or right?
I used air at 120 lbs to the left no luck. club car carryall 6 2000.
Bigburls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 07:29 PM   #10
Kizyle
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigburls View Post
How did you get bolt loose? Turn left or right?
I used air at 120 lbs to the left no luck. club car carryall 6 2000.
I haven't done it yet, but I believe it is a reverse thread (right) from the research I have gathered

Tags
350, carryall vi, club car, gas
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car