lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-25-2015, 03:31 PM   #11
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Default Re: club car carryall VI will idle but won't Rev

That's good of you to help your friend!

Since it's been sitting a while... and it's not yours to know what happened a year ago,
So... there will be a lot of things to look at!

A key start cart is just "a bit" different then what 95% of us are used to,
I know just "a little bit" about how they work, and usually it comes down to
a bad microswitch, or a bad relay in the electrical components box!
(black box next to the battery, just below the drivers butt!)
Usually, a bad microswitch (the one and only) will cause a "no spark" scenario, but you have spark...

Here's a couple things to look at when you can,

~Hook the original pulse fuel pump back up... it's supposed to just dribble!

~Make sure that the intake tube and air box lid are hooked up and sealed tight!
(Crucial... these engines don't run well with an open carb)

~Ethanol fuel WILL plug up every orifice in the carburetor... Maybe a tear down, and a good cleaning may be in order!
(funny that it won't run on starting fluid though...)

~and drain the fuel tank and refill with new gas!

~Check the engine compression... it should be close to 150 psi or better!

That's what I have for now... Good luck!
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-25-2015, 05:02 PM   #12
shovel-86
Not Yet Wild

It's the least I can do, he's letting me stay with him until I can get somewhere to live. He's more like family, in fact the first time I ever got drunk in my life that evening was spent on this cart blasting through the woods and yard about 8 ish years ago. At the moment it would save alote of walking and carrying bringing branches and small trees into a pile into the cow pasture. You know more about them then I do, it won't hurt to take a peek in the electrical box anyways, not that I can think of anything in particular to look for. The factory fuel pump is still hooked up. I'll see if I can tighten up the flexible intake hose done duct tape for testing since it isn't in that great of condition and see what that does. I have some gasket maker material. Will have to get some carb cleaner to clean it. If that wasn't the original problem I'm sure it's an issue by now. I know he used it quite often so it should've been fairly maintained when it was used.. As far as the compression test would I just hook the gauge up and let the motor turn with the starter?
shovel-86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 05:15 PM   #13
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovel-86 View Post
... As far as the compression test would I just hook the gauge up and let the motor turn with the starter?
Yep! with the throttle wide open!

I can barely remember the first time I got drunk... It was 40 years ago, but I do remember... I had a great time!
Old 10-25-2015, 05:31 PM   #14
shovel-86
Not Yet Wild

I'll break out the gauge now.. I couldn't see anything out of place in the electrical box, aside from the fuse checker wouldn't light up on any of the 4 fuses. Upon pulling out and looking looked fine. The part that the throttle cable moves, all 3 terminals were showing about 8.6 volts and battery showed 12.8 volts. I manually held the connection just to see and seems to be fine. As long as they don't require more power.. I taped the intake hose with some unknown tape and didn't help. Even with starter fluid directly into carb then put the hose back on.. That's all that matters that you remember it being a good time. I don't drink often so I can remember the few times, certainly was a blast lol
Old 10-25-2015, 05:37 PM   #15
shovel-86
Not Yet Wild

It's pumping out a whopping 54 55 psi on the compression tester. Should it still run though? Just weak. No lie my old 85 ranger 4cyl ran well on less then 20psi. 360k miles
Old 10-25-2015, 05:41 PM   #16
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovel-86 View Post
It's pumping out a whopping 54 55 psi on the compression tester. Should it still run though? Just weak. No lie my old 85 ranger 4cyl ran well on less then 20psi. 360k miles
NOPE! the FE290 Kawasaki engine won't run with less then 90 psi!

Retest it... Wide open throttle... for no less the 1 one minute!
(or until the gauge stops rising!)
Old 10-25-2015, 05:49 PM   #17
shovel-86
Not Yet Wild

While I had the plug out I figured I'd check it.. Does the same rule apply as with a car motor and you put it next to metal and see the spark? Earlier today I felt spark getting to the plug via a screwdriver in the wire. Might have something to do with it not running. Im going to have to get a spark plug and some carb cleaner before I can continue. Not sure when I'll be able to get my hands on those since the plugs around here aren't the same plugs
Old 10-25-2015, 05:52 PM   #18
shovel-86
Not Yet Wild

The gauge instantly reached 55 and stops. May have held it for 20 or 30 secands hoping it would rise
Old 10-25-2015, 05:53 PM   #19
shovel-86
Not Yet Wild

I went twice in a row and got the same result. I'll try again and hold it over a minute. Won't hurt
Old 10-25-2015, 05:56 PM   #20
shovel-86
Not Yet Wild

It rose up to about 63 after about a minute 15
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car