lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-12-2011, 07:09 PM   #11
GMB74
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: No fuel getting to carb

The exhaust butterfly needs to be secured in the wide-open position. If it is free to flop around it will swing shut and the engine will lose power as if you closed the throttle.

In your other thread, you stated that you only needed to use the choke to start the engine. This is normal, you only use the choke to start the engine when it is cold and keep it running for the first few seconds. Do you have to choke it to start it when the engine is warm also? If this is the case, and you are confident that the carb jets and passages were thoroughly cleaned, the next thing I would check is the compression to be sure the basic engine is healthy. Let us know what you get for readings. If that checks out, we can move on to other things.
GMB74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-12-2011, 07:44 PM   #12
Sbaker
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I have to choke it to start it when it is warm as well. When I use a light spring to keep the gate closed it runs well. When I do the same to hold it open it won't even start. I'll check the jets one more time and get a compression tool from auto zone and report back in the morning. When I cleaned the carb I took the bowl off and took out the brass threaded rod and cleaned it out and the jet on the side. Did I maybe miss something? I think the rattling is from the clutch as it wobbles and I only hear it when it engages.

Thanks again GMB

Steven
Sbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 01:10 PM   #13
Sbaker
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Ok, I just checked the compression and surprisingly it was 110. I checked it several times and made sure it was warmed up first. Maybe unrelated and maybe from the degreaser I used but while I was warming it up I saw a few puffs of white smoke come from near the carb inlet. Could be from the gaskets I made? Where to go now?
Old 08-13-2011, 08:18 PM   #14
GMB74
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Ok, let's stick with posting on just one thread. Let the other one die.

Compression is good. I was concerned we might be beating a dead horse, but that is not the case here.

I don't know what to make of the engine not starting with the exhaust butterfly wide open. The purpose of that valve is to supply some back pressure for smoother and quieter operation at slow speeds. If the valve or linkage gets broken, most people remove the valve entirely and seal up the shaft holes, with no noticeable problems. We tend to run full throttle anyhow

Next step: the fact that you have to use the choke to keep it running means the engine is running lean (not enough fuel in the fuel/air mix getting to the combustion chamber). This can be due to plugged jets or passages in the carb or air leaks into the engine. When you cleaned the carb did you spray carb cleaner through the jets and make sure it came out the little holes near the throttle plate inside the carb?

You replaced the intake gaskets, I assume you checked/replaced the pulse hose from the crankcase to the fuel pump. Other possible leak points are the throttle shaft and the crankcase seals. Start the engine and get it to idle as low as possible without stalling or shutting off. Use a can of carb cleaner with a nozzle to spray it at at the throttle shaft and at the crankshaft right behind the clutch and behind the flywheel. If the engine speeds up or stalls you have found a leak.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:03 PM   #15
Sbaker
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Question Re: No fuel getting to carb

Ok, I'll let the other one die. Last night I locked the exhaust gate open and it did start. I did change the hose from the crank case to the fuel pump. The fuel line to the carb is very strong and full of gas if that matters. I cleaned all of the jets but I can go back and clear those again. When it runs I smell lots of gas. I do have to choke it to start it still but only half way now. It also doesn't want to idle. If I go below half throttle it dies then I repeat the starting process again. I will spray carb cleaner around the seals. Where is the throttle shaft for me to check and what am I looking for?
Old 08-14-2011, 07:55 PM   #16
GMB74
Gone Wild

Yamaha

The throttle shaft bushing gets worn out allowing air to leak past the shaft. The shaft can be wiggled back and forth when this happens.
Here is a link to a post by forum member sontag1. He fixed his worn bushing:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...haft-hole.html
Old 08-15-2011, 04:05 PM   #17
Sbaker
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Mine doesn't seem to have that. I did re-clean all of the jets and float bowl and needle. Nothing seems to make a difference. Sorry it's such a pain but I'm just not sure what to do now.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:08 PM   #18
Sbaker
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Can anyone offer help. I don't want the thread to die or start a new one. If anyone else is having these problems please chime in and I can tell what I have done so maybe I can save you some time and money.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha