lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-13-2011, 07:46 PM   #1
xerodan
Not Yet Wild

Angry G16 carb problem

I have a 1996 G16 gas cart. It has been working perfectly until the end of last year. It shut off while running, and would'nt start back up. I pushed it to the shed for the winter. Got it out this spring and it ran fine. Now it is shutting off again. It will start, run for a while, and if you stop, try to start it back up, it won't run. It does this intermittently. I just let it set for a few days, and sometimes it takes off and runs great. Last time it ran fine for two weeks. Now it is not running again. I tried to troubleshoot, and here is what I found. If you disconnect feed line from pump to carb, press the gas, the fuel pumps great. If I drain the line to the tank, hook the line back up to the carb, it does not pump, doesn't even fill the filter. Disconnect line again, filter fills up and pumps fine. The air pulse from the cam is good, pump is good, lines are clear. I removed the carb, sprayed with carb cleaner, float seems fine, spray went through all of the jets, butterfly seems fine. Sometimes it backfires when it tries to start up. Any ideas ??
xerodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-14-2011, 08:36 AM   #2
technoid
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: G16 carb problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by xerodan View Post
I have a 1996 G16 gas cart. It has been working perfectly until the end of last year. It shut off while running, and would'nt start back up. I pushed it to the shed for the winter. Got it out this spring and it ran fine. Now it is shutting off again. It will start, run for a while, and if you stop, try to start it back up, it won't run. It does this intermittently. I just let it set for a few days, and sometimes it takes off and runs great. Last time it ran fine for two weeks. Now it is not running again. I tried to troubleshoot, and here is what I found. If you disconnect feed line from pump to carb, press the gas, the fuel pumps great. If I drain the line to the tank, hook the line back up to the carb, it does not pump, doesn't even fill the filter. Disconnect line again, filter fills up and pumps fine. The air pulse from the cam is good, pump is good, lines are clear. I removed the carb, sprayed with carb cleaner, float seems fine, spray went through all of the jets, butterfly seems fine. Sometimes it backfires when it tries to start up. Any ideas ??
I'd say to change the pump diaphram and internal parts. It might pump ok open to air but not against a restriction. The fact that it won't self prime from the tank on an empty line tells the story. Put a new filter on to.
technoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 07:57 PM   #3
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I notice from your initial thread that your troubleshooting seemed to go directly to the fuel system with no mention of checking for spark. Your symptoms indicate that no spark could possibly be the problem. I suggest that you check for spark, then go back into troubleshooting the fuel system if spark is ok. Good luck on sorting out your problem. - RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:21 PM   #4
xerodan
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for your replies. My troubleshooting was the problem. I did not empty the bowl before checking the pumping to the carb. Turns out, it was working. I checked the spark plug, and sure enough, it was bad. Replaced plug and gas filter, and it now runs like a champ. At least I got a clean carb out of the deal. As you can probably tell, I don't know much about engines - just enough to get me into trouble Love the cart though, when I can get my kids off of it....
xerodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:40 AM   #5
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Good deal. Glad you got it! Have fun and yep kids/grandkids love em.Ray
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha