lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-20-2011, 10:38 PM   #1
bigred_262002
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Question Carb

I have an 81 G1 that I’m boring .75MM over an having the head shaven down .30 an also porting an polishing the intake and exhaust ports. Now with this done do I need to look into a larger carb or rejetting the stock carb that is on it? I also was looking into installing a exhaust from a Yamaha blaster. Any input on this would be a great help. Thanks
bigred_262002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-21-2011, 04:56 AM   #2
GMB74
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Carb

There has been a lot of discussion on this topic in this forum, do a search to read about it.
GMB74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 07:13 PM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Curious if you made any progress on the carb/pipe for you G1? I too am looking at adding a carb and pipe of some sort but my research is coming up with nothing but dead ends. There are some people who have done this, but they have not written anything up about their results. Makes me wonder if they just wasted their time and money? I have heard that the G1 engine is a retuned/detuned version of a 250cc snowmobile engine and it was created for durability and longevity, not performance....
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 04:44 AM   #4
GMB74
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Tikicart and Sho305 are two members I can think of who have modded the G1 engine with some success. Search for posts by them, this may help you out.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:50 AM   #5
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

With the head work I would have some larger jets on hand to tune with.
A larger carb can help, but not too large as to lose vacume signal to the
jets.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:23 AM   #6
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Cut the head but you can only go so far it gets into the chamber. It may be better to cut the top of cylinder but that is more hassle. I raised the exhaust port a little, I mean less than a mm. You lose compression when you do that, but it raises the powerband in rpm, so I did only a little actually did it by hand. I marked it and sanded it for days when I had a minute. I had stock carb never jetted it with cut head and port I did, plus I advanced the timing. Enlarge the holes in the plate and rotate it a little to advance forward running direction timing. I worked on the clutch some too, and started with a car that ran better than others.

With old yamaha sleds some people cut the top of the cylinder and cut the head, then used double base gaskets. This raised the compression to more than offset the increase in porting. They moved the cylinder up, that means you move all the ports up without doing a thing to them.

Far as the carb a larger one gives more top end and speed. If you go too far it kills the bottom end you need to clutch it up for more rpm, where more porting would help more yet as well as a pipe....you need to tune all those the same and pick your rpm. I was told it was an old sled motor, like out of a GP yamaha in the 70s they made up to 400cc. I can't verify that though. You can get a bravo or I think an enticer sled and mod the G1 pickup plate to work on the 250cc. The sled has more porting and more power, but will lose some if you don't fit the sled pipe with it. With the plate it will run in reverse like the stock G1.

There was a guy with a yellow G1 with a jeep front he made on it, he did a lot of mods and posted its just hard to find them. There are posts about using a banshee pipe. There is a place that will port the cylinder for you and set it up but I forget the name, they were on here a few years back posting. Search and you will find but yeah I know the search is not easy, google usually works better use the command to search only this site. There are also some posts on BU about G1 mods, but not as many, and also older.

You have to be real careful jetting a 2 stroke, start rich. Lean will stick the piston. Go rich and move down to a brown plug then be real careful. Lean is fast too, but melts things. With a stock G1 its not a big deal because it is so under stressed its a very mild motor than can tolerate that stuff. The one I did would go over 30mph with stock tires, but took a while. Bottom end was good I could spin all over on anything but pavement, and I could spin one tire on pavement with just a driver. At the time I had a whole GC and would powerslide down wet 600yrd fairways at top speed, all the way down. Too much fun I'm still spoiled from it. Larger carb would have helped top end I am sure, I also worked on the clutch it was original one with the spring. It took off at higher rpm than stock I stretched and/or shimmed the spring. Note the carts were not that old when I did all this its been a while. The fast one I had a jump about 18" high, it went fast enough I hit that and jumped another G1 in less than 50yd run up to it.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:22 AM   #7
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Thanks for the reply Sho305! It's good to know that there are people that had some success with the G1. I realize this cart is old, so the people who worked on them probably did it a few years ago. Sounds like your memory is good though! lol! Anyway, I'm looking forward to trying some of those mods. I'm not trying to get huge power and I realize this engine has it's limitations. I do have an Exciter 440 engine ready to go, but i hate to lose reverse.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:53 AM   #8
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Yeah I have a 440 too if I could come up with a pickup for it with reverse lol. Even a 340 would be impressive. I can't seem to find a track for the 440.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:51 PM   #9
JcXtreme72
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Slonomo I read some where on here where some one wired up the ignition to fire the sled motor in reverse so they didn't loose reverse at all when they did the swap.
JcXtreme72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 05:10 AM   #10
GMB74
Gone Wild

Yamaha

The G1 ignition system (coil plate and flywheel) fit right into the Bravo engine so you can do this conversion without losing reverse. I don't know if this will work for other Yamaha engines.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/big-b...lockin-g1.html
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha