lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-04-2011, 03:58 PM   #1
Rappy SE
Not Yet Wild

Exclamation Electrical questions

Hey guys just picked on a 94 g9a, i have electrical issues.

When i hit the gas pedal i get nothing....if i cross the post on the solenoid the motor will run.

I have checked all my grounds and power in all my wires. I also replaced the ignitor...still nothing.

The last time it was running my cousin was riding it and spun it sideways and it dies and hasnt ran since.

Any help would be appriciated.
Rappy SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-04-2011, 04:26 PM   #2
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Electrical questions

..if i cross the post on the solenoid the motor will run.

Does it run or just turn over?
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 04:50 PM   #3
Rappy SE
Not Yet Wild

Well it's turning over. Would it stay on if it was running? I replaced the solenoid
Old 10-04-2011, 06:13 PM   #4
crash12888
Gone Crazy

You have two circuits on that cart for the start/Run operation.
First is the 12V High amp circuit, that consists of the battery, cables, solenoid and starter/Generator.
If you jumped the two large posts on the solenoid and it spins over then that circuit is working.

The second is the 12V low amp circuit, it provides power to the solenoid to activate the high amp circuit.
It consists of key switch, pedal/micro switches, fuse.
Remove both small wires from the solenoid and test them, one should have 12V with key on, and pedal pushed.
The other is a ground wire and should read from positive side of battery.
determine if you are not getting 12V from battery to solenoid or you have a bad ground coming from the solenoid.
Print the wiring diagram from the stickies to follow.

Also, Is the new solenoid for the cart or an automotive type?
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:24 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Most of them the power goes to the key and the pedal, then back to solenoids. Check the diagram but a problem with the key or pedal will get you no power at the engine. And yes bad grounds are very common, every ground is wired on these there is no frame ground like a car. Also check any connector or fuse holder in the wiring. The good part is wiring issues are usually cheap and easy to fix. Again remember all grounds are wires and need to be checked just like hot wires.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:44 PM   #6
Rappy SE
Not Yet Wild

Ok just checked the small wires and the red was getting 10.23v and the black was getting 12v. It is an automotive type solenoid
Old 10-05-2011, 08:31 AM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Solenoid should have (small wires) black ground with 0v and red (or red/white) wire should have 12v when key and pedal are both on to start engine. Some automotive solenoids will not work because they are only for momentary use, but I don't know what ones. You should show 12v when you test small red wire on solenoid to battery negative....only when key and pedal are both on. If you see any voltage on the small black wire you have a bad ground and it can't work.

The diagram listed in the stickies appears to be wrong the red or red/white wire is not in it. In the manual it shows the red/white runs the whole cart off the key/pedal switch. It gives 12v to the ignitor, coil, pickup, voltage reg, gen windings, and solenoid. In the stickies diagram http://www.cunninghamgolfcar.com/dow...maha%20G9A.pdf the R/W wire from the key and ignition system is not connected to the R/W wire on the VR and solenoid. I think it should be or nothing turns it on. The R/W wire goes hot to run about everything in the cart.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:17 PM   #8
Rappy SE
Not Yet Wild

Should i check the small black wire off of the negative on the battery or positive?
Old 10-05-2011, 03:30 PM   #9
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Solenoid likely has a negative to bat ground right? Make sure that is working first. Or does it ground with the large cable or a metal bracket? Anyway, if you put power to it then is it clicking/etc? Some of those automotive styles one small terminal is to activate it and the other is for something else, if it has two small ones.

If it clicks is power connected on the large cables? I had problems with those on my snowplow, one worked for a while and quit another would not work at all (both brand new). I finally found the right one for a Ford truck it works fine. However it is never on for very long, some of them you can't have them on for a long time. If it just is not working, you may have to find a different one to use.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:38 PM   #10
crash12888
Gone Crazy

You need to do two things here.
1st, you have to make sure you have 12V at the red wire that connects to the small post at solenoid and the black wire is a good ground.
1st test - remove both small wires from sloenoid. Hook red meter lead to red wire, black lead to battery neg, key on push pedal, what is the reading?
2nd test - hook red meter lead to pos battery and black lead to black wire, what is the reading?

2nd, you must have the correct solenoid.
A "ford" or automotive type might have two small posts but is not correct internally and will not work.
You need a continous duty solenoid.
Just to determine if the solenoid will work, run two jumper wires, pos and neg from the battery to the small posts on the solenoid, doesn't matter which one goes where.
If it spins over you have a low amp circuit issue, refer back to my previous post.
If it doesn't turn over you have the wrong solenoid.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha