lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-12-2012, 09:39 PM   #1
chubrockholmes
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default G14 rebuild kit?

Saturday i purchased a 1996 g14 gas cart lifted with new tires and rims from a dealer for 1600 dollars. It has a 2004 top and i recently installed headlights with zero trouble. The cart ran fine before i bought it. Afteri got it home and rode it for a few hours i began losing power going up hill and would get a puf of dark black smoke come from the exhaust every now and then. Today i changed the spark plug and fuel filters. When i went to change the air filter the air canister had water in the bottom. It had a faint faint smell of burnt oil and gas. I removed the valve cover and the valves were covered with oil. The cart will still run at about 15 or 16 mph and its smoother since i done some work. Also i removed the muffler which has a hole in it. My question is what is my next step? Replace all gaskets, piston and rings or is there a simple fix for my problem. I know its not from over filling with oil because after i ride it the oil on the dip stick has dropped and steadily does so if i dont add a little every couple of hours. And the dealer gave me no warranty.
chubrockholmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-13-2012, 06:04 AM   #2
LURCH
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: G14 rebuild kit?

You really need to do a compression test and go from there. I don't have a book handy but I think it should read about 120/130 psi up to about 150. Some body will know for sure.
LURCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:49 PM   #3
boltz
Getting Wild

Yamaha

What type of oil are you running weight and brand? Reason I ask that is because your problem could be as simple as cheep oil and the wrong weight if not As Lurch said do a comprssion check do one with a cold engine and then with it hot and let us know the results...

Good luck,
boltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:57 PM   #4
chubrockholmes
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

It was the cheap 10 w 30 the dealer gave me. What is the best to use?im going to do a testwhen i get home
Old 03-13-2012, 04:08 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Black smoke is too much gas, is the choke off? Airbox/filter clean? Water on the filter might do it maybe. Most yamaha puke the oil ring when they wear out, you start burning oil its blue/white smoke and smells stinky like oil and blowby. Does it worse the hotter it gets may not do it cold until it gets bad. Then the oil level starts going down. Mine never needed a drop of oil until lately it started to burn just a little. Putting a clone in soon.

Make sure you are not getting gas in the oil from a bad float valve in carb or bad fuel pump. It can overfill the oil and thin it out, not good for engine, will start burning oil because its like water. May puke it into the air box as well.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:16 PM   #6
boltz
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Good point Sho, With that being said I would buy you a can of seafoam to put in your gass to clean out any deposits. Really oil brand talk can get crazy, as for me I use Mobil1 gold cap 10w30 thats by far the best oil I have found period... No matter what ALWAYS run syn!
Old 03-13-2012, 05:42 PM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I ran synthetic too, maybe why it lasted this long its a 91 G9 I think we go them in 99. But a 92 blew oil 3 years ago and he put more miles on it with regular oil so I don't know. For a long time he had a governor on his though and I never did, his was about 3mph less top speed....and I topped mine out for a short way every day I ran it pretty much lol. Only get used in the summer, and for about half that we ran a lot of trails on weekends then got into other things. But hey one qt so when the clone gets broken in I'll put synthetic in that too.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:52 PM   #8
chubrockholmes
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Did the test, psi 155. Now i replaced the belt tonight and it broke. A brand new belt. What caused this? The last belt that broke was not in bad shape prior to breaking. Im lost
Old 03-13-2012, 11:06 PM   #9
chubrockholmes
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Also with the new belt i lost sigificant amounts of power and speed. Its like the engine couldnt pull the load.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:33 AM   #10
boltz
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Was that 155 cold or hot? As for the belt even new parts can be crap, it almost sounds like the belt was too small hence the lack of speed are you sure it was the right one?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha