lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-01-2023, 08:21 PM   #1
beachguysc
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default EMP motor issue

I bought this EMP motor about 4.5 years ago. It was what they called option 2 and had some high speed banding added. Worked great for the first 4 years. I don’t use it much and have put less than 300 miles on the cart since rebuilt. I have a 2008 precedent that I rebuilt from the frame up with Altrax xct 400, 200 amp solenoid, 2 gauge cables and four 12v battery config. With a 3.5” lift and all terrain tires I was able to go about 27-28 mph up until recently. It started jolting a little. And would sometimes go full speed, or sometimes only 5 mph at full throttle. Or sometimes wouldn’t move at all when I pressed pedal, but like start moving if I rolled it forward a little then pressed pedal. There is also a slight clicking noise that corresponds with the speed. So I was hoping it was just mcor or speed sensor. But ruled those out. And then started smelling an electric fire smell. So I took the motor off and could really smell the electric fire smell.( no smoke though). I don’t know anything about these motors. Any idea if it’s toast? EMP has been no help at all and won’t even call me back. They did send an email telling me to to mail it to them and they would look at it for $250, PLuS unknown charges for parts/labor, PLUS shipping both ways. Or I could buy a new one for $1050 plus shipping. NO THANKS. So I’m stuck getting this thing rebuilt from someone else. Or buying a Plum Quick Executioner. I did upload the field maps EMP originally sent me, so I don’t believe it was a bad setting in my controller. Any idea what may have caused this. Or what I can do.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8270.jpg (118.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8266.jpg (151.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8267.jpg (236.3 KB, 0 views)
beachguysc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-01-2023, 08:34 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: EMP motor issue

It at least needs brushes and the commutator cleaned up. If it's not cooked, it may be savable. Brushes are not expensive and they are not hard to replace.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 12:34 PM   #3
beachguysc
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
It at least needs brushes and the commutator cleaned up. If it's not cooked, it may be savable. Brushes are not expensive and they are not hard to replace.
Thanks. I found a local electric shop I’m going to take it to.
Old 06-02-2023, 04:52 PM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

A good motor shop should be able to get it back to good condition assuming that it's not cooked. Often, the commutator needs to be turned on a lathe but any decent motor shop should be able to do that.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 09:38 AM   #5
beachguysc
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
A good motor shop should be able to get it back to good condition assuming that it's not cooked. Often, the commutator needs to be turned on a lathe but any decent motor shop should be able to do that.
A local golf cart place wanted $400 to rebuild. But found a great Alternator/starter shop run by a Vet that repaired it for 200. He said he couldn’t really see a specific reason for the failure, other than I may have let it sit too long. He said to use it more, which sounds good to me. Lol. But I never really let it sit over a month. Happy to have my cart back.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car