lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-02-2023, 01:37 PM   #1
Uswjkf13
Not Yet Wild

Default 1997 EZGO - Solenoid dropping power on negative side

Starting a new thread as the cutting out issue resolved. Here are the details on the cart:

1997 EZGO DCS 36 v

Batteries are new duracells from sams club (6mo old)
new charger same time as the batteries: sprance golfshop off of amazon. 36v 18 amps.

Charged before install of the items below. 44.5 v on the digital dash meter and verified with muti meter.

Replaced the ITS sensor and the accelerator pedal box micro switch ( all components in the floor board)

EZ mtr pkg 6 DCS 36v & FN-key ordered and installed this weekend. Admiral B2 motor and new alltrax controller along with new wires and new solenoid and resistors.

Installed the new motor, cables, controler and resistors. Initially the solenoid wouldn't click without turning the tow/run switch on and off. That lasted for a few days but now it will come on once or twice and then it won't click again.

I tested the switch and it has pack voltage on both end when in run mode (red and white ad orange wire). The solenoid clicks and the cart will operate as long as you keep the throttle engaged. If you let off the throttle for a few seconds the solenoid looses voltage on the negative side...goes all the way to .18v (monitored with multi meter. takes about 10 seconds or so) can't figure out why it's loosing power.
Uswjkf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-02-2023, 02:39 PM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: 1997 EZGO - Solenoid dropping power on negative side

Hook up your laptop and see what errors the controller is seeing. Should also be flashing codes.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 04:50 PM   #3
Uswjkf13
Not Yet Wild

This is what I get when I hook up the software.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (102.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-02-2023, 08:39 PM   #4
Uswjkf13
Not Yet Wild

so I attached a photo of the wiring set up. The red wire with the yellow splice was always connected on the old set up. After trying the tow/run switch to engage the solenoid it finally stopped working and would not click.
The two red wires at the bottom were never attached on the old set up and i just had them tucked away. it was an xct controler with a stock motor. i decided to try to see if that made a difference and i connected one to the small positive post on the solenoid... with no result. then I touched the other and the voltage shot back up on the negative side and the green light on the controler went solid. I haven't tested it yet as it's raining here in Missouri but I am curious what they red wire runs too. it looks like it's on the back half of the main wire loom and possibly runs to the tow run switch. i'm also curious if the other one should be attached somewhere too and if instead of the small post if it should be attached to the large post since it had a larger crimp connector applied.

I took a picture of the old set up and replicated it on the the new one but obviously there is a difference.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg capture 2.jpg (102.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-02-2023, 10:13 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Can you post the original picture(s) you took before the disassembly?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 09:55 AM   #6
Uswjkf13
Not Yet Wild

deleted it off my phone when i thought I had it right the first time. I checked the wiring diagram provided in the alltrax manual and it looks correct. I'm just curious if it should be to the big lug or the little one. Can't tell by the diagram. there is also another red wire in that photo that has a circular connector on it that I don't know where it goes....
Old 06-06-2023, 10:46 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

It looks like the red wires in question have large 5/16 rings on them. One or both could have gone to the solenoid terminal Marked + with the main battery cable on it.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO