lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-13-2017, 08:22 AM   #1
n and n
Not Yet Wild

Default lifted ezgo with loose steering

I just purchased an EZGO 37v. it has large tires and a lift kit. my steering is loose and I constantly have to turn the steering wheel left and right almost 1/4 a turn to keep it straight. Also when I turn the wheel to the left, the right front plastic fender and floor board lift. the tires are not rubbing so im not sure if its the steering box....if golfcarts have a steering boxes
n and n is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-13-2017, 09:20 AM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: lifted ezgo with loose steering

well for starters......YES they have a steering box. but before can answer or give you a real answer, we would need to know the year and model of your cart.....as there are different steering boxes.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 09:48 AM   #3
n and n
Not Yet Wild

I am not sure. it has an after market dash that covers where the serial number is located. I will do more exploring and try to confirm. thank you.. I attached a picture in case that helps. very new at this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg golf cart.jpg (112.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-13-2017, 09:55 AM   #4
n and n
Not Yet Wild

here is a picture of the lift kit
Attached Images
File Type: jpg golf cart 2.jpg (198.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-13-2017, 10:07 AM   #5
Rooster59
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Check the toe in. If there is too much toe in my cart has exhibited the same feeling. A couple months ago I replaced my front lift to a drop axle like yours. The lift was about an inch higher. The changes created a need to readjust the toe in. I got the toe in right but my steering wheel wasn't quite centered so I readjusted last weekend. Instead of doing it on the concrete driveway I made the adjustment on the gravel floor of my pole barn. Afterward mine did the same thing yours is doing. Felt like the steering box was loose at center. I did a quick check last night and found the toe in was about 1.75" instead of 1/8". This will be the first thing I have to do on my list Saturday morning.

There can be other things with your cart to cause the toe in to be off. Those risers on the spindles could be loose. Check the bolts that hold them to the spindles. Also check to see if your hubs are properly adjusted. Loose wheel bearings could cause a toe in adjustment to look good when static but after driving it might get out of whack.

The fender and floorboard movement could be from loose spring perch bolts, broken/cracked frame, or other structural issues. Get an old rug, toss it under the cart, and climb under with a flashlight and check things out.

Good luck.
Rooster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 12:00 PM   #6
CrazyDad
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by n and n View Post
I am not sure. it has an after market dash that covers where the serial number is located. I will do more exploring and try to confirm. thank you.. I attached a picture in case that helps. very new at this
That's a good looking neighborhood cruiser.

Go to the stickies and see what type of drive you have. Then look down where the steering bolts to the floor and see if has 3 or 4 bolts. That will get you close to what you have. Also it looks like someone painted over everything so adjusting the tow will require some patience. Also I would grease the fittings.
CrazyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:23 AM   #7
n and n
Not Yet Wild

Thank you all.. after further inspection looks like the frame support that the gear box is bolted to, is broke where it attaches to the frame.. so getting that welded and will reevaluate my steering issues after that is solved. thank you for all the help
Old 10-16-2017, 08:14 AM   #8
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

While you have it torn down, check the big brass/bronze bush for play. this is located in the big aluminium/aluminum case just above the inner tie rods. you will see a very large nut that holds the drop link in the bush and if you grab the drop link try to rock it up up and down/backward forward. Any movement here will give you play at the steering wheel. Hopefully its just the torn frame.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO