lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-01-2020, 11:12 AM   #1
dezrcr822
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default G1 air box/filter options

Hi guys, after two years of bashing my cart the J17 engine is down to 65psi of compression. It can barely make it up the ramp into the trailer. Im going to un J17 it with the Plowman top end kit as well as performance exhaust and performance primary clutch. It should rip when its done. Im looking for ideas on air filtration. Im not happy with the paper element stock type air filter and also where the airbox picks up its fresh air from under the cart. Driving in the desert is very dusty and the stock paper air filter gets packed with dust to the point where I clean or replace it once a month. I have a couple of ideas but wanted to see what other options may be out there as far as filters and maybe a snorkle to grab non dusty air or should I just order a case of paper filters. Any thoughts are welcome.
dezrcr822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-01-2020, 07:27 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: G1 air box/filter options

If you are riding in really dusty areas, there's really nothing you can do to make filters last, they will all get plugged up.

You "could" have a dual stage setup like on dirt bikes. Basically they mount a K&N filter in the air box then have a Outerwears fabric cover over the box opening. I did this on a quad years ago.

You could also use a Uni style filter with an Outerwears cover directly on the filter.

Both Uni and K&N use oil to trap dust and small particles and both flow air really well.

One last option is to use a filter setup from a commercial lawn mower. They are usually a filter box with a conical or cylindrical paper filter that has a higher capacity than normal. The box can be plumbed with flex tubing or pvc pipe to get it the carb. The intake can be routed up high out of the dust.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg outerwears 2.jpg (13.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg uni 1.jpg (49.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg mower filter 1.jpg (29.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg mower filter 2.jpg (22.9 KB, 0 views)
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 07:52 PM   #3
griffo002
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I need to look at another filter set up....Its been so dust in the last few years I am forever renewing filters...I have been thinking of a snorkel set up to get the whole set up up out of the engine bay.
griffo002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 02:18 AM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

In my experience, the G1 is much more forgiving of air intake changes (as opposed to yamaha 4-strokes). Not saying "just go hog wild". You should still be doing plug readings. And jetting as necessary. But, it seems to allow a filter setup change & still run good. Still, Read your plug. (Its not a crazy science). White is lean, brown is good, black is rich. White/lean is a 2-stroke killer. A tad rich is safer than a tad lean. Unfortunately, "a tad lean" runs "really great", until it kills the motor over time, so it's often overlooked. I suppose this is a tradeoff a racer might be willing to take (when a top end rebuild is a more frequent thing anyway). Ask a competitive 2-stroke racer how often he does his, then ask a 4-stroke guy.

Really lean can kill a 2-stroke in just a few hours (or a few laps in a hard race)

I'd rather see a darker plug (not black soot rich), safer that way.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 09:45 AM   #5
dezrcr822
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Thanks for the info guys. I may look into the lawn tractor airbox. Ive been looking through some old threads and found a couple of ideas as well. Its good to know the G1 can handle a little different intake set up as it gives me more options. The dirt bikes get rebuilds frequently as they get run hard and I dont want to break down 100 miles from the pits. I run filter skin tear offs on the bikes and they work great so I may be able to use one in this application as well at least at the air box intake opening. Or buy a pallet of paper filters and change them once a week. With the cart id like to put it together and not have to touch it, the motor anyway, for a few years.

Cheers.
dezrcr822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha