lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-02-2023, 04:09 PM   #1
Fredro
Not Yet Wild

Default Columbia Parcar 5K DX Neutral switch?

I have a Columbia Parcar 5k DX which i had purchased last year. Currently the cart will not start due to a faulty throttle cable. I have a replacement part, but the cart is operated with a key to determine which direction it will go. My question is how to put the cart in neutral? It will not move when sitting and I have no idea how to put it in neutral since the direction is operated by the ignition key. The key only has forward and reverse. When the ignition is pushed the brake petal unlocks and pops up, but yet the cart still doesn't move. Can anyone help explain how the cart goes into neutral? I cannot find any manual or help on how this works. Thanks!
Fredro is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-02-2023, 07:52 PM   #2
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Re: Columbia Parcar 5K DX Neutral switch?

Do you have any idea what year your cart is? Most Columbia's have a 3 position key switch with neutral being the middle position on the switch.
Lochlin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 09:06 AM   #3
Fredro
Not Yet Wild

The 5K DX shows it to be a 1987 model. The key switch only has forward and reverse however, possibly an aftermarket installed?
Old 05-03-2023, 11:52 AM   #4
Lochlin
Gone Wild

If that's an 87 and the switch you have is not a three position on then your switch is 100% not original. Most of these carts' ignition circuits go through the key switch. As such, they are pricey, right around $100 the last time I looked. A lot of people don't want to drop that money and came up with work arounds instead. These carts don't have a neutral (I don't believe any do). The three position switch is for forward, reverse, and off. I am assuming that yours is missing the "off" so that your cart will always move even with no key present. The key is likely only the direction selector. That you are not getting any action at all means that something else is likely wrong with the cart.

The only way to get the cart running without it actually moving is to remove the drive belt of jack the back of the cart up. Removing the belt takes all of 10 secs and is safer so that's what most people do.

This is service manual specific to your cart's year:

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/colu...UTILITRUCK.pdf

As well, I have attached a testing procedure that we wrote several years ago now to help determine where voltage is being lost within the ignition circuits. Only the first part applies.

Time to fire up the volt meter and get to some testing.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Testing Procedure.pdf (284.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-05-2023, 11:27 AM   #5
Fredro
Not Yet Wild

Interesting, thanks for all the information very much appreciated!
Old 05-05-2023, 11:39 AM   #6
Fredro
Not Yet Wild

After checking the key switch (located under the seat in the center) it does have forward-off-reverse. But the cart is always in a locked position even with the key in the off setting. It was this way when it was running too, there is no neutral to move it without it physically running. It currently does not run, needs a new throttle cable so looking for a workaround to load it onto a trailer. This is my first time working with this type of cart, let alone one that doesn't have a neutral setting.
Old 05-06-2023, 08:47 AM   #7
Lochlin
Gone Wild

When a gas cart isn't running, any cart, it is in neutral. A cart's transmission (the clutches) aren't engaged unless the cart is running. It's like a car where neutral must be selected. A cart's non-running state is neutral by default.

A non-running cart should be able to be pushed around fairly easily. If you can't push yours at all then something is stuck on it. The brake could be stuck on.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar