lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-20-2015, 11:55 AM   #1
txpres
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Convert Excel to IQ (Long)

I just finished converting my 2014 Excel to IQ. I thought I would share my experience with others who may be thinking about converting.
My cart is a 2014 (JE1440-xxxx) which is the newest Excel system that uses the E.R.I.C. charger, so not OBC.

I did have some helpful information form David, TahoeDawgZ71. His advice made things go much easier.

I was able to get the wiring harness from a friend that purchased it and then decided not to use it. I ordered the Controller from FSIP, motor from PQ, and the solenoid from Scotty's. Total cost was about $1000.

The hard part was removing the body panels. I did have a manual so that helped. I did find out that I hate "push rivets".

Had to remove the two center batteries to better access the removal and installation of the wiring harness. Also, since I have a MCOR 4, I had to cut and splice the 2 plugs from my cart onto the IQ harness. Only other modification to the IQ harness was to jumper the blue to red wires on the OBC connector since I have the E.R.I.C. charger and no OBC.

Removed the metal platform that the controller mounts to. You can see how I mounted the solenoid and Controller to that platform in the picture below. Also, because of the increased width of the new controller, I moved the Run/Tow switch 1/2".

Re-installed the metal platform. I did have to cut a little of the plastic top covering for the platform to fit with the new Controller.

Installed the new motor and hooked up all the wiring. Test ran it on jack stands before I put the body panels back on. Everything worked!!!

Put the body panels back on and went for a test drive. Has much improved torque and top speed.

I have attached a few pictures below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Controller2.jpg (167.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Motor1.jpg (182.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1281.jpg (290.9 KB, 0 views)
txpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-20-2015, 01:00 PM   #2
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Default Re: Convert Excel to IQ (Long)

Very nice! I doubt the original controller cover will fit over that huge Curtis. It would be a good idea to try and fabricate a splash guard or a cover of some sort though. These controllers are VERY sensitive to water.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 01:03 PM   #3
txpres
Gone Wild

Club Car

You are right, the cover did not fit.
I am in the process of modifying the cover to give some protection.

Sure do like the improved performance!
Old 01-20-2015, 01:19 PM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

While You still working on it, that kind of 400 amp solenoid typically needs to have the coil (barrel looking part) mounted Horizontally (per manufacture).
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 01:25 PM   #5
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
While You still working on it, that kind of 400 amp solenoid typically needs to have the coil (barrel looking part) mounted Horizontally (per manufacture).
Definitely not doubting you Sergio. You've proven your knowledge to me many times over. But I've never heard this before. Any idea why? It seems to me like it would eventually wear from the dragging on the side?

I'm concerned because I used this exact solenoid on my personal cart and had a solenoid failure within a year. It was mounted vertically as shown in the photo.
Old 01-20-2015, 01:28 PM   #6
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

txpres, your conversion looks good. I used the same controller on my Precedent a few years back. Mine came from Plum Quick. However, I was told not to use the diode between the coil posts on the solenoid. You may want to call FSIP and see if they can confirm or deny that it should be used. I hope you didn't use a precharge resistor between the large posts. That controller doesn't require one.
Old 01-20-2015, 01:44 PM   #7
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I believe the mounting position has to do with the internal mechanism of the relay, probably to avoid unintended engagement due to vibration.

Since each manufacturer can have physically different contact and return spring arrangements, it is best to look for specs of the particular manufacturer of the unit.

This is the one I remember seeing from Alltrax that looks like his unit:

http://www.alltraxinc.com/files/sol400spec.pdf
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 02:08 PM   #8
txpres
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
txpres, your conversion looks good. I used the same controller on my Precedent a few years back. Mine came from Plum Quick. However, I was told not to use the diode between the coil posts on the solenoid. You may want to call FSIP and see if they can confirm or deny that it should be used. I hope you didn't use a precharge resistor between the large posts. That controller doesn't require one.
I did not use a precharge resistor. As far as the diode is concerned, I don't see why it would cause a problem but will remove it anyway. It is easy to remove.

I have used this type solenoid mounted like this on my previous series cart and ran it at high amperage for several years. I think I will leave it the way it is since it would require a lot of work to change it at this point. If it fails, I will change the orientation when I replace it.
Old 01-20-2015, 03:07 PM   #9
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

[QUOTE=txpres;1112802]I did not use a precharge resistor. As far as the diode is concerned, I don't see why it would cause a problem but will remove it anyway. It is easy to remove.

QUOTE]

I'm not saying to remove it. I agree with you. I don't see why or how it could do any damage. But it may be a good idea to investigate a little further to see whether or not it should be there. FSIP should be able to tell you for sure.
Old 01-20-2015, 03:20 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Our customers have hundreds of these solenoids mounted as shown in use. Some for as long as 5-6 years. The failure rate is so low it is almost non-existent. I don't want everybody who has one mounted vertically to panic
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car