lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Star and Fairplay

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-01-2015, 08:00 AM   #1
instigator
Not Yet Wild

Default Fairplay Goat Controller Troubleshooting Help

Bought a used Goat that owner said needed batteries. Brought it home and found dry batteries. Filled them w/water snd charged them and the **** thing ran. For about 2 days.
We are on 3 1/2 acres w/a large hill and if you start at the bottom it would try to climb it then shut off part way up. If you let it set it would start again. (hit it at a roll and no problem climbing it)
Did that 3 or 4 times then quit one final time and has not run since.

I used a generic trouble shooting procedure for it and it targets the controller which is a Kinetek KCCA0038. Basically, I have voltage going into the controller but not coming out w/the gas pedal depressed.

Today I discovered a small indicator light on the bottom of the controller that appears to be giving an error code.
Four long flashes followed by nine short.
Just spent a 1/2 hr on the phone w/a guy way smarter than me that suspects solenoid even though it passed my test.

Any Wizards on here willing to advise a mechanically inclined newbie??

Thanks in advance guys.

Gary
instigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-01-2015, 12:35 PM   #2
theboss20
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Default Re: Fairplay Goat Controller Troubleshooting Help

Unless you put new batteries in you are wasting your time...dry batteries will charge up but unless you load test them with a carbon pile load tester you won't know if the batteries are good or not...but my experience says...replace them!
theboss20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 05:15 PM   #3
instigator
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboss20 View Post
Unless you put new batteries in you are wasting your time...dry batteries will charge up but unless you load test them with a carbon pile load tester you won't know if the batteries are good or not...but my experience says...replace them!
I'll buy that but.....

before it finally puked, I drove it around for 15 mins, w/the lights on, intentionally stopped at the base of the hills before climbing them, etc and it ran fine.

Wasn't until a few days after, and stopping at the base of the hills that it started acting up. Where it would climb 20 yds then shut off like it was popping a breaker. All but the last time it would reset itself.

Now, even w/my lame *** batteries, the lights shine bright and do not dim whem I hit that gas pedal. That tells me there's no voltage going to the motor or the lights would dim.
I'm OK w/the $650. for batteries but not to find out that didn't cure it.
instigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:12 PM   #4
beach cart
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

You can load test those batteries with a simple digital meter. Charge your pack fully, alligator clip or hook to main plus minus, see what your pack drops too, then do each battery. Your cart is best load tester and cheapest.
beach cart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 01:42 PM   #5
bgw70
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach cart View Post
You can load test those batteries with a simple digital meter. Charge your pack fully, alligator clip or hook to main plus minus, see what your pack drops too, then do each battery. Your cart is best load tester and cheapest.
Your test steps are difficult to follow, would you mind providing more detail please.

1. Fully Charge batteries
2. Connect the multimeter leads to The batteries using the terminals that the controller is using. NOTE: you will connect the red lead to a positive terminal on one battery and the black lead will be connected to a negative terminal on another battery.
3. What do I set the multimeter to, DC volts over 50 scale? Or amps?
Am I driving the cart as I monitor? Do I turn on the lights radio etc?

A big thanks in advance!
bgw70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Star and Fairplay