lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Star and Fairplay

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-01-2015, 05:39 PM   #1
Scooby3739
Not Yet Wild

Default Motor/controller????

I have a star 48v cart. The controller (curtis sepex) and motor are toast. What are my options on a new controller and motor or do I need to go back with the curtis sepex?
Scooby3739 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-01-2015, 06:01 PM   #2
Revolution
Voltaholic

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Motor/controller????

It all depends on your wants, needs, and wallet LOL!

Let us know what you use the cart for and you will get more answers.
Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 06:12 PM   #3
nobuckbuild
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

scotty b should be by in just a minute, if he doesn't comment give him a call he's listed under site sponsors
nobuckbuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 09:13 PM   #4
Scooby3739
Not Yet Wild

I plan on just using it around the farm no serious offroading but it's needs to be able to handle a load.
I got this cart on a trade first cart I've ever owned. I've working on small gas engines and cars my entire life but never an electric cart so I'm totally lost.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:02 AM   #5
Revolution
Voltaholic

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby3739 View Post
I plan on just using it around the farm no serious offroading but it's needs to be able to handle a load.
I got this cart on a trade first cart I've ever owned. I've working on small gas engines and cars my entire life but never an electric cart so I'm totally lost.
Do you know for sure the controller and motor are dead? I would test them both first. Electric carts are not that complicated, a multimeter can diagnose most problems. This forum can help and teach you every thing you need to know. A great first start would be controller model number and motor model number.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:19 PM   #6
Scooby3739
Not Yet Wild

When I got the cart it wasn't running. The guy I got it from his son towed it for about a mile without switching to tow mode. After he towed it, it wouldn't run. He replaced batteries and cables still wouldn't run, so I got it for payment on some work I did for him. It has a Curtis sepex 1268-5403 controller not sure what motor. The controller was flashing code for defective controller. I found a used controller but wanted to make sure motor was ok. I found diagram on how to test it with a 12v battery, hooked it up and it won't spin.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:29 PM   #7
Revolution
Voltaholic

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby3739 View Post
When I got the cart it wasn't running. The guy I got it from his son towed it for about a mile without switching to tow mode. After he towed it, it wouldn't run. He replaced batteries and cables still wouldn't run, so I got it for payment on some work I did for him. It has a Curtis sepex 1268-5403 controller not sure what motor. The controller was flashing code for defective controller. I found a used controller but wanted to make sure motor was ok. I found diagram on how to test it with a 12v battery, hooked it up and it won't spin.
Since you will have to replace both you have lots of options. I ditched the sepex motor and controller in my Club Car for a larger series motor.

Your options are:

Go back all stock

Get an upgraded sepex motor and controller for more torque and speed

Convert it to series drive with any size motor and controller you want.

Convert to AC drive
Old 02-02-2015, 08:37 PM   #8
Scooby3739
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolution View Post
Since you will have to replace both you have lots of options. I ditched the sepex motor and controller in my Club Car for a larger series motor.

Your options are:

Go back all stock

Get an upgraded sepex motor and controller for more torque and speed

Convert it to series drive with any size motor and controller you want.

Convert to AC drive

Ok please explain what the difference in series drive and ac drive is.
Old 02-03-2015, 12:51 PM   #9
theboss20
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Well I am in the same boat...but I was told that because it's a Star car there is no programming info available to setup a new controller with a new motor...so what's the real story?
theboss20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 06:59 PM   #10
Scooby3739
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboss20 View Post
Well I am in the same boat...but I was told that because it's a Star car there is no programming info available to setup a new controller with a new motor...so what's the real story?

I emailed Scotty B. He is working on trying to figure out what set up I need. I'll let you know what he says.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Star and Fairplay