lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-12-2015, 12:00 PM   #1
rammunition361
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default starter generator rebuild?

I pulled my non working starter generator and snapped this pic, I referred back to the manual to see what I need to look for, im assuming if I wanted to persue fixing this starter generator (wasn't charging) I need new brushes? If I adjust these do I measure the part thats sticking out? Whats the best way to clean also? thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg starter.jpg (48.0 KB, 0 views)
rammunition361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-12-2015, 12:36 PM   #2
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

Default Re: starter generator rebuild?

There are a couple of reasons that the generator won't charge. The most common seems to be bad brushes. The following video shows how easy it is and a couple of tricks to change them out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWb1JF-kvlU

With that being said, in the service guide, there is a list of steps to properly isolate the issue with a no charge condition. One of the issues (the one I currently have) is that the field coils have grounded themselves to the case. This will require a full dis-assembly and repair. I just haven't made myself do it yet. LOL
sccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 01:02 PM   #3
rammunition361
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Im charging 11.6v at wide open throttle, With the green field wire grounded its 11.6v, with new starter generator 11.6v, Could it still be the regulator? I thought I was supposed to see over 14 volts with field wire grounded if the regulator was bad?
Old 03-12-2015, 01:06 PM   #4
rammunition361
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

lmao the captions in that video have me crackin up
Old 03-12-2015, 01:34 PM   #5
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

From the book:

c) Check for charging voltage as follows:
1) Raise the vehicle (see procedure in Section
B) so that both rear wheels are free to rotate.
2) With the engine off, measure the voltage at
the battery’s terminals by placing the negative
(-) probe on the negative (-) post and the
positive (+) probe on the positive (+) post of
the battery. Note the reading.
3) Attach the DC voltmeter across the regulator’s
red and black leads.
4) Start the engine and accelerate to governed
speed.
5) The meter should read higher than before
starting the engine. In a reasonable amount
of time, the reading should settle between 14
and 15 volts, indicating the regulator is functioning
properly.
6) If no increase over battery voltage is
observed, there is a malfunction in the charging
circuit.
7) If the reading is above 15 volts, check to
assure the wiring harness and generator field
winding (green lead) is not grounded. If it is
not, replace the regulator.
If the reading is below 14 volts, disconnect
the regulator’s green field wire from the system
harness. Temporarily connect the green
field wire to ground. If the voltage rises above
its prior reading, replace the regulator.
9) If the above procedures do not correct the
problem, check for faults in the vehicles wiring
harness and/or generator.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:35 PM   #6
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

But the short answer is....... Probably a bad regulator.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:37 PM   #7
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

Here is another version of the test proceedure:

Test Procedure 7 - Starter/Generator (Starter Function)

1. Place the neutral lock-out cam in the SERVICE position, put the forward and reverse lever in the NEUTRAL
position, and chock the wheels.

2. Check that wires are connected correctly and are tight. If they are not, rewire or tighten as necessary.

3. Disconnect the wires from all the terminals on the starter/generator. Then place the black (-) probe of a
multimeter, set to ohms (O), on the starter/generator housing (scratch through the paint to insure a
good ground). While holding the black probe against the housing, place the red (+) probe (one at a
time) on the A1, A2, F1, F2 and DF terminals respectively (Figure 12-25, Page 100). The readings
should be no continuity. If the readings are incorrect, the starter/generator will need to be removed
from the vehicle and disassembled by a qualified technician (See Removal of the Starter/Generator,
Page 107).
An incorrect reading from A1 or A2 terminal indicates three possible problems: 1) a grounded A1 or A2
terminal, 2) a grounded wire in the brush area, or 3) a grounded armature/commutator.
If the F1 or F2 reading is incorrect, it indicates a possible grounded F1 or F2 terminal or a grounded
field coil.
If the DF reading is incorrect, it indicates a possible grounded DF terminal or a grounded field coil.

4. Disconnect the ground wire from the A2 terminal and the green wire from the A1 terminal on the
starter/generator. Using a multimeter set to ohms (O), place the red (+) probe on the A1 terminal and
the black (-) probe on the A2 terminal. The reading should be continuity.
If the reading is incorrect, a possible open or poor contact in a brush assembly and/or open armature
windings maybe the cause. The starter/generator will need to be removed from the vehicle and disassembled
by a qualified technician (See Removal of the Starter/Generator, Page 107).

5. Disconnect the green wire from the F1 terminal and the white wire from the F2 terminal on the starter/
generator. Using a multimeter set on ohms (O), place the red (+) probe on the F1 terminal and the
black (-) probe on the F2 terminal. The reading should be continuity.
If the reading is incorrect, a possible open field coil or bad connections at terminals may be the cause.
The starter/generator will need to be removed from the vehicle and disassembled by a qualified technician

6. Disconnect the yellow wire from the DF terminal and the green wire from the F1 terminal on the starter/
generator. Using a multimeter set on ohms (O), place the red (+) probe on the DF terminal and the
black (-) probe on the F1 terminal. The reading should be between 4.5 to 5.5 ohms (O).
If the reading is incorrect, a possible grounded DF terminal and/or grounded field coil may be the
cause. The starter/generator will need to be removed from the vehicle and disassembled by a qualified
technician

Test Procedure 9 - Starter/Generator (Generator Function)

1. Place the neutral lock-out cam in the SERVICE position, put the forward and reverse lever in the NEUTRAL

2. Check that wires are connected correctly and are tight. If they are not, rewire or tighten as necessary.

3. Disconnect the yellow wire from the DF terminal on the starter/generator. Cover the connector on the
yellow wire to make sure the yellow wire will not short to ground. Then, using a jumper wire, ground the
DF terminal to the A2 terminal. Using a multimeter set to Volts DC (20v range), place the red (+) probe
on the positive (+) post of the battery, and place the black (-) probe on the negative (-) post. Turn the
key switch to the ON position, and depress the accelerator to start the engine. Run the engine at full
governed speed. The reading should show voltage rising on the meter. If voltage rises, see Test Procedure
10 - Voltage Regulator. If the voltage does not rise, see Starter/Generator Repair, Pages 107-116.

4. Reconnect the yellow wire to the (DF) terminal on the starter/generator.

Test Procedure 10 - Voltage Regulator:

2. Check that the wires are connected correctly and are tight. If they are not, rewire or tighten as necessary.

3. Start the engine and check engine-governored RPM. The reading should be between 2670-2730 RPM.
If it is not, adjust the accelerator cable at the electrical component box (See Fuel System, Section 14).

4. With the battery in good condition and fully charged, and with proper ventilation, run the engine for several
minutes to bring the voltage regulator to operating temperature, then release the accelerator pedal
to stop the engine. Using a multimeter set to DC volt (DCV), place the red (+) probe on the large post of
the solenoid with the red wire from the voltage regulator attached. Place the black (-) probe on the negative
(-) post of battery. Depress the accelerator to start the engine, and run it at full governed speed. If
the reading is between 14.7 and 15.3 volts, the regulator is good. If the reading is lower than 14.7 volts
but rising steadily, check battery condition (See Hydrometer Test, Page 12. If the reading is lower
than 14.7 volts and not rising, and the starter/generator is good; or if the reading is over 15.3 volts and
continues to rise, replace voltage regulator
Old 03-12-2015, 02:36 PM   #8
rammunition361
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I took the generator and regulator to Dayton quality starter, both tested good...pretty sure I have to track down a wiring problem now
Old 03-12-2015, 02:37 PM   #9
rammunition361
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I got a generator for sale though lol
Old 03-12-2015, 02:43 PM   #10
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

how much?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO