lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Melex

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-01-2015, 10:57 PM   #1
mustang4fn
Not Yet Wild

Default Melex Brake Drum

Hello all. I have what looks to be an 80's melex I bought off the estate of a family friend about a year ago. It had a noise in the driver's rear wheel area. I pinpointed it down to the drum area. When I searched online for drums all I typically see are drums with a splined center which comes out an inch or more. The drums on this cart are flat and don't look to have splines on it, only the threads for the nut/cotter pin.

Upon a further look, the drum is actually cracked around the area where the nut and cotter pin goes. The finally got the drum off around this crack, I can't imagine what this would have resulted in had I been driving it, but I'm going to have to cut the remaining central portion off around the spindle area.

The noise happened to be two small screws and a metal bracket rolling around in there (which I believe use to be attached to the back side of the brake plate where the wire brake mechanism hooked to the brake pedal). Does anyone know where to get a similar replacement drum or possibly a hub and drum upgrade? The shoes inside have a part # 4210-1 if this helps.

Thanks so much!
mustang4fn is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-02-2015, 01:11 PM   #2
Epb
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Melex Brake Drum

Welcome to BGW! Check out this website.
I am not good at posting links but you can see the website within.
E
Epb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:25 PM   #3
mustang4fn
Not Yet Wild

Thanks so much for the kind welcoming! BGW is a great resource!

As for VintageGolfCartParts.com, I've looked through their website before. Unfortunately the drum listed/pictured there isn't the one utilized on my cart...

I was able to get the remaining piece off and took some pictures here after I put the cracked center portion back on to show the whole drum. Hope this helps in pointing me in the right direction.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0013.jpg (201.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0014.jpg (204.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0016.jpg (208.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0017.jpg (227.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0011.jpg (222.6 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by mustang4fn; 11-02-2015 at 04:46 PM.. Reason: Updated with pictures
Old 11-02-2015, 08:40 PM   #4
Epb
Gone Wild
Club Car

The sad thing is melex is hard to find replacement parts.

I searched around and checked ezgo since melex followed their design, the 252 and marathon look the same. Ezgo has the splined hub.

I would recommend a ez go rear off craigslist or a junker for parts.....or use the good off the melex on the ezgo.

I had the 252 and 512...king pin bearings were a PIA and went to a local shop to measure and order.

I like the hunt so will try to help.

Lots of great people on here trying to help....
Old 11-02-2015, 08:57 PM   #5
Epb
Gone Wild
Club Car

It appears 77-81 ezgo were keyed found part ezgo 15125-g1 is the part no.~100$

If you call one of the vendors they may take some measurements to verify the swap.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:22 PM   #6
mustang4fn
Not Yet Wild

Great, I would appreciate all the help/assistance I can get. Yeah, I saw that part, however, like the other melex replacement drum, its a different design with the middle portion of the hub/drum sticking out a few inches, where mine is flush, so I'd have to do further replacement.

Ugh, I need this cart in five weeks for an event... Is it possible (and/or worth it) to replace the driver's side axle and then purchase a corresponding hub/drum? Is that even something that can be done? I've seen the ezgo upgrade hub and separate drum which is supposedly stronger and easier to do maintenance on. Eventually I would do both sides...but after my event. If it helps, I'm in AZ. Thanks again.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:20 PM   #7
Epb
Gone Wild
Club Car

I found this in gas melex section.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-m...og-upload.html
It has electric part nos. It appears you may need 300407 from pg 40
I still dont know what model you have but maybe this manual will be usefull.
there are so many different axles and then pricing is high for you to put in one side. I would suggest finding a beater ezgo and swap the entire transaxle.
E
Old 11-03-2015, 09:59 PM   #8
mustang4fn
Not Yet Wild

Thanks! Yes, that is certainly the same backing plate and placement of hardware, etc. The bottom bracket as well as its screws were what was rolling around, causing the noise in the drum

Is replacing the driver's axle and a drum/hub from an ezgo for just the driver's side an option? Will they mate up?

If so, do I simply need to find an axle with the same # of cogs? If length is off slightly will that matter? Price wise, from what I've seen these axles run around 100 bucks and a drum/hub would run a little less than that. I'm okay with this if it is an option (since I need the cart sooner than later).

I'm not seeing too many ezgo's being parted out in the Phx,Az area which I could take parts from or visa versa. The only one I found was a gas one, which I believe electric components won't match up.

Thoughts? Thanks!
Old 11-03-2015, 10:23 PM   #9
Epb
Gone Wild
Club Car

I would believe its an option. I looked around yesterday and many different lengths, then the right bearing, and will the hub fit the backing plate or is that another part to buy along with the internals.

For me its too many unknowns to suggest go that route.

Check out our sale section or contact nagy golf & turf in mesa....i read they sell parts if still in business
Old 11-03-2015, 10:24 PM   #10
mustang4fn
Not Yet Wild

Will do. Thanks!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Melex