lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-11-2017, 12:56 PM   #11
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: G2 clutch spring upgrade

Good info. Only other things I can think of is the CPP kevlar belt helped mine its a hair wider 1.25 I think. I think this because my old clutches were worn and this takes up the space, causing them to shift like they did new. Changing the belt width or sheave thickness changes how they shift and the wider belt helps fix that on worn clutches...in my opinion. Another mod you can do that I did is get a cut sheave for the secondary I got one from CPP it was a real HD quality part some of them are thin aftermarket. All this really does is get you a lower gear on take off, it helps mostly under 5mph. So its great for towing, pulling stuff, very steep hills, and gets rpm faster from a dead stop. At speed it does not help you the Umax spring will do much more at speed and is a great mod for lifted carts with stock power and clutches. If you BB the cart or change clutch then it all depends on the engine and new clutch what will work better....my new 94c clutch does not like the umax I took it out, but other clutches that may not be true. The umax does help take off some, certainly helps at lower speeds, its affect is less at high speeds when your rpm is high anyway. With the umax you can also still change the preload you install it with; more preload will get you more rpm all the time at lower speeds though full throttle rpm does not change much. Most aftermarket springs don't have the tangs and use no preload so you get only exactly what it gives and you can't change how it works. You can also get a new stock spring if yours is old its really tired, however for stock power the umax is better. The umax is the yamaha utility cart spring not aftermarket.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-07-2017, 06:16 PM   #12
AJMcCool
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Ok, finally got the umax spring installed. Low end is better, but I was a little surprised that it doesn't seem to be a whole lot of increase from what I had
AJMcCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 12:31 PM   #13
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Then put more preload on it, that will jack it up. You put enough it will rev like crazy all the time. But given you only have the power you have from the engine in there, but it will make the most of it.

When I ran the umax I think it was stock preload at B-4 or whatever it is. And that was plenty for me I didn't want it to rev anymore because I use it for utility use, and that was plenty good enough on trails for me that way with my 22 tires and two people.
Old 04-08-2017, 01:40 PM   #14
AJMcCool
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I put it on B3 and put some preload on it. I hate to take it apart to change it lol. But may be worth it
Old 04-08-2017, 04:11 PM   #15
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

You turn it one ramp, higher numbers give more than a ramp. A-1 would be less than ramp and weakest, then A-2 for example. One ramp is 1/3 turn, with 3 ramps obvious I know lol. The more you turn it (the higher the letter/number the more you have to turn it to get on the ramp) the higher your rpm at steady speed and quicker it will rev when you gas on it. Yeah I know you get tired of that thing fast its stiff. I use boards in it to hold it and put the key in and sheave on, they make a tool that clamps it for you. But once its like you want you wont mess with it again unless something breaks. Aftermarket springs are much worse, people usually ratchet strap them on to get them together.
Old 04-08-2017, 04:17 PM   #16
AJMcCool
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Would you suggest I try it on B 4?
Old 04-08-2017, 10:23 PM   #17
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

B-4 is the stock setting, though I don't know if that applies to the umax. (C-1 would be the next stiffer one.)

If its not doing enough you set it higher, so sure if you think its closer but not there then go one more. I know its so much fun to do it, but like I said you get it right then you don't mess with it again. If you think its way off go two settings, but one setting always makes a difference you will notice in my experience.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:45 AM   #18
ja564rm80
Not Yet Wild

This has all been great information for me with my g16 secondary rebuild! Thank you guys!! I had put the spring on b2 first time and it was sluggish still. Just got done switching it to b4 and what a difference! My question is how much preload do I want? On b4 i am only turning it from say noon to 3 maybe noon to 4. Is that enough preload? Or do I want to preload it more?
ja564rm80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 11:05 AM   #19
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

You go to the first ramp, it will be about 1/3 turn of course that assumes its all the way into the ramp and it wont be until its fully installed. The settings make it a little less or more each change you do.

How much, well what do you use the cart for? For me I trail ride but also use the cart to go here and there and yard work. You can wind it way up for trails and it revs more all the time and its more responsive on trails it works great, you get more cooling because of it too.....but it takes more fuel and makes more noise so putting around the yard its not as nice it wont shift out at part throttle and quiet down. So you have to figure how far you want to go for the driving you do, hills you have, etc. Low preload it will want to be in golf mode and unless you hold it on the floor it wont rev. Lots of preload (more than stock setting) it will stay revving all the time and be ready to climb or tow all the time, it will never settle down and shift out at low speeds it will rev all the time waiting for you to floor it and it will zip off near instantly because its already revved up. You have to decide where in that range you want to be. For me the stock setting (with a new stock spring) or even little less with the umax was enough to make it rev quick enough when I hammered it but when running steady 10-20mph it would shift out and quiet down and take less fuel. Again your cart may be different you may need a different setting just to work like mine did, it can depend on your belt and wear on sheaves and how new your spring is and all that stuff for each cart. I had also modded my ramps and drilled the weights in my G9 clutch to make it work better before I put a umax in it so you may need little more than stock to get where I was.
Old 04-09-2017, 05:13 PM   #20
ja564rm80
Not Yet Wild

I use the cart around the yard ( tow a yard cart with it), for taking the dog for rides on the road at night and in the pits at tractor pulls. That's about it.
ja564rm80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha