lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-28-2018, 09:30 PM   #1
abaguy
Not Yet Wild

Default Engine smoking

Hi, I'm trying to help my brother with a problem he's having with his FE290 in his Club Car DS.

It is burning oil, he keeps having to add oil. There doesn't appear to be any visible leaks.

If I'm following him on the road, I can smell burnt oil in the exhaust. If he stops at a corner, when he accelerates there's a big cloud of white smoke from the muffler.
I've checked the compression and it's about 170 psi. It held 170 psi for 15 minutes.

Any ideas on what I can check next? Thanks
abaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-28-2018, 09:48 PM   #2
David Maner
Morel Man

Club Car

Default Re: Engine smoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaguy View Post
Hi, I'm trying to help my brother with a problem he's having with his FE290 in his Club Car DS.

It is burning oil, he keeps having to add oil. There doesn't appear to be any visible leaks.

If I'm following him on the road, I can smell burnt oil in the exhaust. If he stops at a corner, when he accelerates there's a big cloud of white smoke from the muffler.
I've checked the compression and it's about 170 psi. It held 170 psi for 15 minutes.

Any ideas on what I can check next? Thanks
Check the positive crankcase valve. Locate the hose coming from the engine block that goes to the breather and see if you can determine if it only pushes air out and not any in. Its purpose is to keep the crankcase at a slight vacuum. If its stuck closed where it won't let any air out it will cause the crankcase to become pressurized and push oil up past the rings. If it is stuck open it will allow oil to get past the ring also. Should be a slight vacuum on the crankcase whenever the engine is running.

Over the years I've seen many lawnmower/small air cooled engines trashed because of this. Generally when it happens it will be a sudden occurrence and not a gradual thing like the rings slowly wearing out.

how it works is when the piston goes down the valve opens and air should be pushed out of that valve/hose and then when the piston goes back up it won't let air flow, hence the slight vacuum. When you hold a strip of paper over the hose with the engine running it should be pretty much only being pushed outward, if its flapping back and forward then check that one way check valve and clean it to correct the problem.

What tips me off to this being the problem is the high compression reading. meaning the rings are good.
David Maner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 12:21 AM   #3
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Compression rings can still be good but worn oil scrapper ring will cause smoking and oil burning issue
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 06:16 PM   #4
abaguy
Not Yet Wild

Thanks, I'll check on it tomorrow.
abaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 09:37 PM   #5
BLACK DEATH
Gone Wild

Club Car

From what I’ve read and have learned, the oil ring may be bad on the piston.
My 99 has great compression, runs great etc...But...
I can see puffs of smoke and smell it out the exhaust and it consumes oil.
BLACK DEATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car