lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-19-2018, 06:26 PM   #1
poidog
Not Yet Wild

Default 03 fe350 valves open

RE: 03 carryall fe350 w/oACR: sudden quit, no compression, both valves stay open when cranking. Pedal start, w/o acr sticker on engine, turns freely on starter, ???
poidog is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-19-2018, 06:36 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: 03 fe350 valves open

How far open are the valves? Are they moving when you turn the crankshaft?

I’ve heard of some failures of the camshaft gear on the 350. It’s plastic and has rivets holding it to a steel plate that’s welded to the shaft.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 07:07 PM   #3
poidog
Not Yet Wild

They are open enough to have no compression what so ever. The valves do not move at all when the engine is turning. But both of them? A failed cam gear makes sense. probably need to replace the whole camshaft assy if it is a weld up?
poidog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 03:01 PM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Time to pull the motor.
Yes, replacement of the camshaft is usually necessary. When you take it apart check the link rods for the balance weight for play at the big end. Usually the outer rod (toward the clutch) is the first to have play. If there’s play in the link rods there’s no point getting a camshaft. The link rods will break and wreck the engine. If you have a press you can remove the cam drive gear from the crankshaft and check the crank journal and inside of the rod for scoring.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:34 PM   #5
danderson808
Not Yet Wild

I have a similar problem with my 07' precedent with the same engine. Drove onto a trailer to bring home for the winter but wouldn't start up to drive off the trailer. My valves are moving so I don't suspect a problem with the cam shaft, however I only have 60psi for compression. I was curious how often the Hydraulic lifters fail?
danderson808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 11:24 PM   #6
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Hydraulic lifter failure, Not often. Usually they fail stuck in the collapsed position, giving far excessive valve lash clearance.

60 psi after sitting is usually due to fuel wash of the rings. Squirt some oil in the cylinder and the compression should come up.

Also just to make sure, you did the compression test with throttle held wide open?
Old 05-15-2019, 11:11 PM   #7
danderson808
Not Yet Wild

I appreciate the response! I assumed pressing the pedal to the floor would give me wide open throttle, so I started checking that out just to verify. Found out my throttle was not moving at all. I pulled the floor board covers to find the cable adjuster popped out right by the gas pedal... Running like a champ now.
danderson808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car