lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-06-2019, 12:54 PM   #11
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: new to club car 1999 DS questions about lifting /kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
The Jake's economy lift looks what's known as a "Z" lift. When done correctly they're quite strong and work well. But I'd be afraid to cut the frame in half to install it personally....

I've not driven a DS with the 6" lift (yet... hopefully will this weekend though, it's supposed to arrive on Thursday from SGC) but my carryall (turf 2, longer wheelbase than a DS) has no stability issues at all. I really can't imagine a DS would be that much different though, tons and tons of people have a 6" lift on a DS with no problems. But just have to use common sense as well.
thanks for the shocks info. and I dont know that I NEED a 6" lift to go with 22-23" tires but i don't see many options for 4" lifts that aren't the "Z" style.

used to the drop axle lifts from ezgo marathons, no experience with a arm lifts

Quote:
And all club cars have aluminum frames. All DS have leaf springs in the rear. I don't know of a DS that came with a "factory" rear seat, most of them are added on. unless you're talking about a transporter/limo type?
Good to know, new to teh club car world. I have attached two pictures of a cart like mine. They were rentals in a tourist lake town. Have an extra long top over the rear seat and entire rear platform is aluminum, along with rear seat and rear seat handle. I just assumed they were designed this way since they not only had a seat but the extended roof. Maybe they just had a whole fleet of them converted through another company or something.

Please let me know what you think of your SGC kit - I'm sure you wont have too much negative to say in the first week but I was leaning towards that kit because it seems the most economic. Even if I don't need the extra 2" of lift it seems pointless to spend another 40-80 bucks for either a smaller lift or a different 6" kit unless the SGC one sucks. But its not like I drive this thing daily by any means and mostly just around the house / yard. Not doing serious off roading nor mudding or really bumpy rides.

edit: just noticed the seats are a different thickness, as well as the tail lights were installed over the number on the back rear corner. Maybe these were conversions? but they have full light setups, I assumed they were sold that way from the factory since the headlights are in the hood.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cc1.jpg (103.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg cc2.jpg (79.9 KB, 0 views)
nwocart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-06-2019, 01:44 PM   #12
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Yeah, there were some "transporter" models that came from the factory like the picture below, but the others like yours are probably just DS models that had a rear seat and extended top added to them. Not uncommon at all and not a bad thing either. Makes finding parts easier since it's just a DS and not something special like a transporter model or something :)

The ride on the SGC kit is definitely stiffer than stock, but I don't mind. If it was bothersome, you could probably remove one of the leaf springs in the front (OEM only has 1 spring, the lift kit has 2) and that would probably soften it pretty good, but it's not bad. Certainly not anything bad enough for me to mess with it. My cart kept bottoming out in my driveway and driving down my road so I just need the additional height.

I'll update if there's anything different in the DS once I get it installed, but I would imagine it will be pretty consistent with my carryall. I don't anticipate any difficulties, it is the exact same lift kit, my carryall and the DS are both 2002's (I think) but the carryall is just longer and has a big heavy dump bed.

CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 01:56 PM   #13
superpro56
Gone Wild
Club Car

4" Double A-Arm lift from Jakes, fits 97 to 2004.5 gas carts

https://www.jakesliftkits.com/liftki...83-20045)/7460
superpro56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 02:42 PM   #14
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Yeah, there were some "transporter" models that came from the factory like the picture below, but the others like yours are probably just DS models that had a rear seat and extended top added to them. Not uncommon at all and not a bad thing either. Makes finding parts easier since it's just a DS and not something special like a transporter model or something :)

The ride on the SGC kit is definitely stiffer than stock, but I don't mind. If it was bothersome, you could probably remove one of the leaf springs in the front (OEM only has 1 spring, the lift kit has 2) and that would probably soften it pretty good, but it's not bad. Certainly not anything bad enough for me to mess with it. My cart kept bottoming out in my driveway and driving down my road so I just need the additional height.

I'll update if there's anything different in the DS once I get it installed, but I would imagine it will be pretty consistent with my carryall. I don't anticipate any difficulties, it is the exact same lift kit, my carryall and the DS are both 2002's (I think) but the carryall is just longer and has a big heavy dump bed.
Thanks for the info again. Some other guy said his SGC kit was too soft on the road and it made me nervous so who knows haha

finding parts for this cart so far has been pretty easy - using google has led me to plenty of sites so that seems to be a good thing
Old 05-06-2019, 02:43 PM   #15
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by superpro56 View Post
4" Double A-Arm lift from Jakes, fits 97 to 2004.5 gas carts

https://www.jakesliftkits.com/liftki...83-20045)/7460
for another $130 I might as well stay with the steeleng kit i guess... doesn't seem worth it to pay an extra 40%
Old 05-06-2019, 02:58 PM   #16
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwocart View Post
Thanks for the info again. Some other guy said his SGC kit was too soft on the road and it made me nervous so who knows haha

finding parts for this cart so far has been pretty easy - using google has led me to plenty of sites so that seems to be a good thing
He may have had other issues, or may be a different cart. IT's definitely stiffer than stock suspension. Doesn't even feel the slightest bit tippy and I don't exactly drive the thing around easy...

I have had my carryall airborne once. Not intentionally of course, I was flying through my front pasture full of waist high grass, didn't see that "dip". Almost hit my head on the roof. Cart was fine, landing kinda hurt my butt a little. and the hammer I had in the bed was never seen again...
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 07:07 AM   #17
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
He may have had other issues, or may be a different cart. IT's definitely stiffer than stock suspension. Doesn't even feel the slightest bit tippy and I don't exactly drive the thing around easy...

I have had my carryall airborne once. Not intentionally of course, I was flying through my front pasture full of waist high grass, didn't see that "dip". Almost hit my head on the roof. Cart was fine, landing kinda hurt my butt a little. and the hammer I had in the bed was never seen again...
alright looks like im back in the steeleng kit territory again
Old 05-07-2019, 07:18 AM   #18
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

This is a random question but I started recovering my seats last night - and my front seat foam has quite an angle to it. Im assuming it shouldn't be angled but is from 20 years of use.

My question is if it should be angled toward the front of the cart or the rear? I was assuming toward the front of the cart just to shed water away from the motor. Because I think it should be flat originally
Old 05-07-2019, 07:40 AM   #19
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwocart View Post
This is a random question but I started recovering my seats last night - and my front seat foam has quite an angle to it. Im assuming it shouldn't be angled but is from 20 years of use.

My question is if it should be angled toward the front of the cart or the rear? I was assuming toward the front of the cart just to shed water away from the motor. Because I think it should be flat originally
I'll be interested to see answers to this as well. When my lady and I disassembled the cart, we were careful to mark the orientation of everything. This is a 92 DS and it had the seat cushion angling to the rear. We pondered the same as you. Thinking about it though, as you sit on it, it makes more sense that it angle back, instead of forward. This way is more natural and your less likely to slide forward. This was our conclusion at any rate. However, as old as these carts are, who knows: who did what and when over the years...
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 07:48 AM   #20
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBHC View Post
I'll be interested to see answers to this as well. When my lady and I disassembled the cart, we were careful to mark the orientation of everything. This is a 92 DS and it had the seat cushion angling to the rear. We pondered the same as you. Thinking about it though, as you sit on it, it makes more sense that it angle back, instead of forward. This way is more natural and your less likely to slide forward. This was our conclusion at any rate. However, as old as these carts are, who knows: who did what and when over the years...
That is exactly what I thought when I sat on it - that it didn't seem comfortable. But my seat was in such crappy shape that I was practically sitting against the motor because the wood had collapsed under the drivers seat so bad - so naturally anything is going to feel like it sits higher and angles forward because i was leaning back so bad originally. And unfortunately my seat was in such bad repair when I got the cart that I was more worried about destroying the foam / getting the rotting OSB board (that somebody thought was a good idea) off of the cover. So last night I put it together and realized I wasn't sure which way it should go. Like I said, I installed it leaning forward but when I sat down first thing I noticed was that my knees felt too low and I was inclined to slide off of the seat. Of course swapping the arm rest/hinges around to turn the seat around shouldn/t be too big of a deal (except i folded my seat corners specifically for front/back and now they will be facing out if i turn it around.

But I had the decline forward as I said before, to let water run off the seat in the even that it got wet, instead of running back behind the seat where it goes onto the motor. However that being said I didn't notice if the body was inclined (seemed flat to me) in which case I guess if they were angled opposite directions the seat might sit flat if that makes sense.

I'm afraid Im going to have to flip my seat around not thrilled about that because of how I folded my vinyl and since I just got it together. I suppose its not the end of the world but I have nothing to compare it to since my seat was so bad when I got it, and ive never sat on a DS with a like new seat or new foam
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car