lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-26-2009, 09:06 PM   #1
syandoa
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Plastic and Rivets

The black plastic on my cart looks old. Can I sand it and paint it and make it look good? My guess it is sun-faded. Also, I have metal rivets holding on plastic pieces and I want to remove the plastic to paint the body. I haven't work with rivets before, is it cost effective for me to do it by myself? If so, what tools would I use for that.

Thanks in advance,
Scott
syandoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-26-2009, 09:19 PM   #2
K9Kev
Say What ???

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Plastic and Rivets

Painting the plastic is not to difficult BUT.... the prep for the plastic parts has got to be spot on or it's gonna flake off and look like chit.

Depending on what areas your going to paint, it may be advisable to go with a new part (i.e. side skirts are going to get to much wear to paint).

As for the rivets, just use a small drill bit and run it through the center of the rivet. They will come off easily.

Most of the sponsors sell a new rivet and christmas tree set so you can buy everything you'll need to put it all back together. A rivet gun is cheap and can be bought at Harbor Freight or most auto parts stores (usually under $20).

On the rivets, I would recomend buying from someone who sells a factory kit so your not getting some cheap azz rivets.....but then that's just my .02

Good luck,

Kev
K9Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 09:26 PM   #3
syandoa
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

That big plastic piece in the front is the first to get painted. What do you recommend for the paint, and what is the prep for it?
Old 11-26-2009, 09:40 PM   #4
K9Kev
Say What ???

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by syandoa View Post
That big plastic piece in the front is the first to get painted. What do you recommend for the paint, and what is the prep for it?
There is lots of info on here from members that have painted their carts.

I would suggest a search on "painting" and look for what applies to you and the amount of effort you want to put into it.

Rattle can or pro paint 2 stage with some wet sanding and buffing. Kinda depends on the quality of finish you want and the amount of time and money you can stomach.
Old 11-26-2009, 09:41 PM   #5
syandoa
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

thank you
Old 11-26-2009, 09:43 PM   #6
K9Kev
Say What ???

E-Z-GO

No problem.........were here to help.....and make fun of each other when we screw up
Old 11-28-2009, 07:02 PM   #7
jauguston
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Before you try painting go to a autoparts store. There is a liquid stuff made to restore the black to plastic parts that have greyed. I used it on my '92 Marathon and the black plastic parts on my Samurai and it looks really good. Just apply with the foam top applicator and wipe off. I'm not home right now we are out in the motorhome. I have the stuff on the shelf at home and will be there Tuesday afternoon if you want the name.

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 07:38 PM   #8
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Yes, we want the name....if it works good.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 08:00 PM   #9
ssdane
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

First of all, HI Gorno! No-one has ever accused me of being smart, but it sounds like to me that you are referring to a Medalist style cart with that big plastic piece in the front. Does the cart have a metal or plastic body? TXT carts and Medalist carts might require different preps before painting! Hope this might help you out! Thanks!
ssdane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 08:08 PM   #10
jackieandangels
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

This is what I did to my old, faded, scratched scuff guards. After stripping and sanding the scuff guards, I tried flat paint (to dull) and gloss paint (too shiny). So then I tried Dupli-Color truck bed coating (of course after I stripped and sanded them). It's looks CLOSE to new! I am 100% happy with the way they turned out! I bought it at advanced auto. It cost me $9.00 for a can! I hope this helps...
jackieandangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO