lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-19-2010, 04:28 PM   #1
mnooner
Not Yet Wild

Default 89 Marathon brakes

How hard is it to put new brakes on these things

I took the drum off last night and there's basically no "pad" left on either side. I'm guessing I'll try to tackle it myself so what am I looking at time wise and $$?
Thanks
mnooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-19-2010, 04:39 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 89 Marathon brakes

getting the drum off can be half the battle....... It is just like a car. Are the axle seals good? Any Gooves on the drums?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 04:57 PM   #3
mnooner
Not Yet Wild

I've actually never done drum brakes on anything. Done a few discs before, just putting pads on. From what I can tell, everythings good, just needs the pads. Drums seem smooth, at least to me. I guess axles seals are good...nothings leaking.

Oh checked one of the sponsors site's looks like around $40 for pads. Add my mandatory 12 hours of labor (cause a 2 hour job takes me 12) and a 12 pack of cold beer and the price goes up
Old 01-19-2010, 05:03 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

$40 is real reasonable, prolly aftermarket.... make sure you get shoes for the right year cart. A can of brake klean and some brake tools is all you need Be sure you torque the axle nut between 70 -140 ft pounds when you reinstall the drum.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:36 AM   #5
mnooner
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
$40 is real reasonable, prolly aftermarket.... make sure you get shoes for the right year cart. A can of brake klean and some brake tools is all you need Be sure you torque the axle nut between 70 -140 ft pounds when you reinstall the drum.

Uh oh...brake tools. I've got tools that break stuff are they similar??

SO, does the whole brake assembly have to come off to get the new shoes on. I can get the "outer" drum off, do I need to unbolt the the rest to get it off the axle and then piece everything back together? Is there a scematic or some instructions on here any place?
Old 01-20-2010, 08:51 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Search the site. Somebody did a brake tutorial last year. Maybe Andy sombody?
Old 01-20-2010, 09:44 AM   #7
rib33024

see if this helps --

rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:38 PM   #8
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

FYI: Make sure you order the right shoes. I've seen different shoes on that era cart. Look on the existing shoes for a letter and a number. IIRC, they should be "J10" or "J17". Stamped right in to the backing plate of the shoe. Know this number when you go shopping.
pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:55 AM   #9
mnooner
Not Yet Wild

well carp...went into disassembly mode last night on the drivers side. I was a little leery about the "adjustment bolt/screw" it looked sort of cockeyed in there, thought to myself, hope it's not cross threaded, got it apart and sure enough the threads on the end of the bolt part are gone. I can't get it started back into the nut part (I hope that makes sense, don't really know how to describe it). The nut part looks alright, threads look normal but the bolt I guess needs replacing. Any idea where I can get one??...I checked the site I ordered the shoes from and it's not listed there.
Thanks
Old 01-21-2010, 12:42 PM   #10
mnooner
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnooner View Post
well carp...went into disassembly mode last night on the drivers side. I was a little leery about the "adjustment bolt/screw" it looked sort of cockeyed in there, thought to myself, hope it's not cross threaded, got it apart and sure enough the threads on the end of the bolt part are gone. I can't get it started back into the nut part (I hope that makes sense, don't really know how to describe it). The nut part looks alright, threads look normal but the bolt I guess needs replacing. Any idea where I can get one??...I checked the site I ordered the shoes from and it's not listed there.
Thanks

Can anyone tell me if this would work? It says for 94 and up, but it's awful similar to what I'm looking for.
http://www.shopezgo.com/products/Rig...uster-Kit.html
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO