lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-12-2010, 09:44 PM   #1
duffer
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Tinny Rattle in a 08 Drive

Just got my 08 Drive back from the local Yamaha Dealer who did the annual service within the warranty program. The last two years, I have stated that the cart had a tinny rattle in the engine area when driving at road speeds (around 20 mph). Last year The dealer stated on the paperwork that they tightened the axle spacers. The noise went away for about a month then came back as loud as ever. This year I gave them the same complaint. The service tech called me and said that the noise is coming from the clutch. He said that Yamaha went to a new clutch without a grease fitting and put some type of plastic rollers or spacers in it that start vibrating at higher speeds, He said one fix is to force heavy grease in to quiet down the noise but is only a temporary fix and causes a mess with dirt pickup and gunk buildup. He also said that all the gas Drive's have the noise and that to date, Yamaha has done nothing about it. I still have Warranty till Nov 2010.
My questions are: 1.Does anyone else out there with a drive have the noise? 2. What is the fix. 3. Does my dealer know what he's talking about?
duffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-13-2010, 11:47 AM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: Tinny Rattle in a 08 Drive

If he and you think it's the primary clutch, ask him to order a new one, it would be under warranty. No I've not had that complaint. Make shure the plastic drain tubes are "ziptied" tight to the frame. I have replaced mufflers, the welds on the heat sheilding break and you have a metalic rattle noise. Just my nickles worth. Good luck Dave
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 05:54 PM   #3
cart de golf
Gone Wild

if they cant fix it bring it to another dealer

or call a different dealer they might have delt with this problem
cart de golf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:18 PM   #4
sabercat
gone yamaha!

Yamaha

i don't think that anything in a primary should be rattling. def. not in a brand new cart under warrenty. and a tinny/metalic rattle wouldn't be comming from plastic rollers/bushings, that sound to me more like heat sheilding or somthing else.
let us know what you find!
sabercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:32 PM   #5
tomcart
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thumbs up Re: Tinny Rattle in a 08 Drive

My neigbors 2009 cart had a "tin like rattle noise " when coming up out of the golf cart tunnels here at The Villages. The local yamaha dealer checked it twice, saying one time it was the clutch ,and lubed it. That didn't help. The second time they said ,"thats how all Yamahas are." None of us,neigbors, bought their unrealistic answers. A couple of us got together one morning to check it out ourselfs. With in 10 mins. we found a broken weld on the muffler heat shield. With no access to any one here in The Villages to do welding, we went to "NAPA" and purchased 2 large hose clamps and put them around the heat shield, one around the top ,and one around the bottom. END OF RATTLE. Total cost of $7. Total time to install 10 mins. Hearing that these welds breaking is a common problem ,we are all installing these clamps on our carts,old carts and new carts alike. With over 40,000 golf carts here in The Villages we hope our Yamaha dealer smartens up and listens to it's customers a little better!!
tomcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 11:37 AM   #6
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcart View Post
My neigbors 2009 cart had a "tin like rattle noise " when coming up out of the golf cart tunnels here at The Villages. The local yamaha dealer checked it twice, saying one time it was the clutch ,and lubed it. That didn't help. The second time they said ,"thats how all Yamahas are." None of us,neigbors, bought their unrealistic answers. A couple of us got together one morning to check it out ourselfs. With in 10 mins. we found a broken weld on the muffler heat shield. With no access to any one here in The Villages to do welding, we went to "NAPA" and purchased 2 large hose clamps and put them around the heat shield, one around the top ,and one around the bottom. END OF RATTLE. Total cost of $7. Total time to install 10 mins. Hearing that these welds breaking is a common problem ,we are all installing these clamps on our carts,old carts and new carts alike. With over 40,000 golf carts here in The Villages we hope our Yamaha dealer smartens up and listens to it's customers a little better!!
Great you were able to get everyone together and solving your own problem. Trading info. and helping each other with your carts is what is all about. More than likely they'll be some good friendships come out of your golf cart neighbors.

spriddle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:41 PM   #7
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Sorry you had to do that yourself and lost 7.00. I would ask the dealer to warranty the mufflers.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:04 PM   #8
tomcart
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Correct . That is what we now figure we can now do , being that we know what the problem is. Our local dealer has told us " Do you really think I can pay someone to ride around on a golf cart all day"!! And service appointments are scheduled 6 to 8 weeks down the road ! So we will schedule an appointment ,with a smile, knowing the cart will run ok while we wait . We'll let you know how things work out.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:29 PM   #9
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Correct . That is what we now figure we can now do , being that we know what the problem is. Our local dealer has told us " Do you really think I can pay someone to ride around on a golf cart all day"!! And service appointments are scheduled 6 to 8 weeks down the road ! So we will schedule an appointment ,with a smile, knowing the cart will run ok while we wait . We'll let you know how things work out.
Maybe I should come to Florida and work on golf cars 6 to 8 weeks????? Ouch! Hope you like your Yamaha still, even with it's faults.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:20 PM   #10
tomcart
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Love our YAMAHAS . It's the service thats kind of forcing us to do our own work. Good thing we have this forum and all you guys to help us along. Thanks,this forum is GREAT !!Anyone with knowlege of carts could have a job down here for life ! The next building phaise is about to start , and when completed,in about 7 years, there will probably be another 5 thousand carts running around.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha