lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-27-2010, 08:51 PM   #1
39mainship
Not Yet Wild

Default Yamaha Gas G1 onwer in need of advice

New owner of '85 G1 gas cart. Several questions:

1.Cart is very smokey from exhaust. Going to replace oil and gas. Any recommendations on type of oil that may not smoke as much? Any other recommendations to fix smoke? Muffler?

2. Engine seems excessively loud. I know this is vague, but any thoughts on what good be causing this?

3. I had the rear of the cart up on jacks today. When I hit the accelerator, both rear wheels started to spin, but after a couple of seconds, the left wheel stopped turning and only the right wheel turned with the accelerator. Is this normal? If not, repair suggestions?

4. How do you adjust the govonor to get more speed?

Thanks!
39mainship is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-27-2010, 10:29 PM   #2
jreimers
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha Gas G1 onwer in need of advice

hey 39, welcome to the addiction...my wife will not ride in my g1, she calls it old stinky, got her a g16 ele. the folks on this forum will be there for you, good luck!!
jreimers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:42 PM   #3
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

1.Cart is very smokey from exhaust. Going to replace oil and gas. Any recommendations on type of oil that may not smoke as much? Any other recommendations to fix smoke? Muffler?
Could be fat oil mix could be needs to be run hard to
clean out

3. I had the rear of the cart up on jacks today. When I hit the accelerator, both rear wheels started to spin, but after a couple of seconds, the left wheel stopped turning and only the right wheel turned with the accelerator. Is this normal? If not, repair suggestions?

The right tire will spin faster than the left because it has less weight on it in normal operation
the right brake shoes will wear more than the left.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:44 PM   #4
Newbylee
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I'm no expert but here's some simple answers:
1.Maybe injector pump disconnected,and previous owner mixed the gas
2.2 strokes are louder than 4 strokes
3.normal ,limited slip
4.turn in the screw (against the spring)

The real experts should be along, but I find they don't stay up too late
Newbylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:01 PM   #5
39mainship
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for some quick replies. I bought the cart from an older couple that haven't really used it for 2+ years. They were the second owners. Cart is in great shape, only used for golf. I know the gas is old, and the oil is probably just what ever he had lying around. I was wondering if I should do one of these muffler bbqs, or if a new one, or upgradable one might help with the noise?
Old 02-28-2010, 12:32 AM   #6
39mainship
Not Yet Wild

Below is the link to the Yamaha Governor diagram, can somone show me what adjustments need to be made to gain more speed. My cart is an '85 G1 gas.
Thanks.
http://www.yamahagolfcar.com/partsan...smanuals.aspx#
Old 02-28-2010, 07:43 AM   #7
tikicart
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Excessive smoke could be the muffler loaded with oil from years of use, try a muffler BBQ.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...-hot-pics.html

2 strokes are louder than 4 strokes, but check for any exhaust leaks they will make it louder also. Also if your not running the stock air filter a lot of noise comes through the carb and intake
tikicart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:44 AM   #8
GMB74
Gone Wild

Yamaha

If it has old gas in it, dump it out (dispose of it properly) and put fresh gas in. Gasoline deteriorates after 30 days, absorbs water and does not burn well. It can damage your fuel system as well as make your buggy run poorly. Put stabilizer in your gas at all times.
The former owner may have put some oil in the gas, and this will contribute to the smoking and smell.
As far as oil and smoking: is the injection pump still hooked up? Dump out the oil tank and fill with a good AIR-COOLED 2-cycle engine oil. If the owner put car engine oil or outboard motor oil in there that is not good. If it still smokes after running it awhile with fresh fluids, time for a barbecue:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...-hot-pics.html

I'm not sure about the excessive exhaust noise- could be normal.
What you describe with the wheels/transmission is normal.
To get top speed from your buggy,remove the tensioning screw and locknut on the governor arm. Reinstall the screw without the nut and tighten the screw all the way down.
GMB74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha