lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-02-2010, 01:18 PM   #1
bud_man8
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Question yamaha G1 motor

Hello, I was wondering if you could or if anyone has put a engine from a lawn mower into a golf cart?
bud_man8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-02-2010, 02:17 PM   #2
rib33024

Default Re: yamaha G1 motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud_man8 View Post
Hello, I was wondering if you could or if anyone has put a engine from a lawn mower into a golf cart?
Yes they have, but it depends on what motor,? and if you are wanting to change the motor in a G1 it needs to be the same motor or you will not have reverse
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 05:51 PM   #3
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Or you can make a bravo sled motor work.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:25 PM   #4
bud_man8
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

it is a 17.5 hp techumsa motor i think out of a older lawn mower. what kind of modification would i have to do to make it work
Old 11-03-2010, 12:58 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

If you look in the big block section you will see people put them in all the time, however there are certain ones that work better or can be modified. Problem is a G1 has no reverse gear the engine runs backwards. You have to make another 2 stroke do that or have no reverse, or get a whole rear end out of a 4 stroke cart to put in it that has reverse gears....or use some other kind of rear axle not from a cart....or be happy with no reverse.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:20 PM   #6
bud_man8
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

so what your saying is that it would be a whole lot of work in order to make it work.

what other options do i have to achieve more speed out of my cart, i am really new to all of this golf cart stuff but am very excited about fixing it up and making it my own.
thanks for all of your help
Old 11-03-2010, 03:50 PM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Well, you can get a G1 to go faster than any other stock cart. You can buy a bravo sled for a few hundred or less usually, it has a 250cc that makes more power and you can mount the ignition pickup from the G1 on it but you have to fab the engine install. There is no way to make a 4 stroke run in reverse, you would need a rear out of a G2/9 and I think all you need to do is mess with the brackets on the axles to fit it in a G1, but they are not free price all depends on what you find.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:30 PM   #8
frankr2994
Not Yet Wild

hey just letting everyone know just about any 2 stroke motor should run backwards. i used to drag race a yamaha blaster and i do know that you could remove a few components to run the kick starter either way and the engine would just run backwards and use all the forward gears to move. and to go forward you would just shut it off and kick it the right way. just have to be careful you don't always want to be able to go as fast in reverse as you can going forward.
frankr2994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:54 PM   #9
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

The G1 has a dual pickup on the crank so the timing is advanced in either forward or reverse, going to a common CDI/coil. A typical 2 stroke will run poorly at 0 advance or retarded, but yes otherwise it does not care.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:35 PM   #10
frankr2994
Not Yet Wild

oh i guess i did not consider that. but even at that i have had my stator apart and slotted the holes to advance to timing. i have also added an additional coil winding for a fuel pump on a dirtbike engine. i really don't see a problem in adding an additional pickup on the stator and just running a switch to the wire to switch between the forward and reverse pickup.
frankr2994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha