lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-06-2011, 08:53 AM   #1
89 Club
Not Yet Wild

Default Intermittent Spark - '89 Club Car

'Replaced the plug, battery good, only sparks for 1 sec after pedal is depressed, then no spark.......... Ideas?

Thanks,

Rich
89 Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-06-2011, 10:48 AM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: Intermittent Spark - '89 Club Car

welcome.......make sure where coil plugs into the exitor coil that the connection is good and tight and if thats not the problem than it could be the coil, the exitor coil or the rpm limitor if it has one.........no theres no real way to test them other than replacing with a known good one and if you do start with the coil it easy to get to and cheaper than the other 2 parts........how is the spark plug wire? ok...........................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 03:01 AM   #3
89 Club
Not Yet Wild

Ty for the response, Tom.............

'Swing and a miss with an ignitor replacement, it still only sparks for 1 sec after pedal is depressed....

Would you please advise if there is a way to bypass the RPM limiter to do a differential diagnosis: RPM limiter vs Coil?

Ty,

Rich
Old 06-26-2011, 07:33 AM   #4
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

when you say ignitor what are you talking about? an 89 dosn,t have one......does it have a rpm limitor? if so its mounted on top of the external coil............i,m not 100% certian if you can bypass or eliminate it as thats one i have never tried...................................
Old 06-29-2011, 06:50 PM   #5
89 Club
Not Yet Wild

Well, this is embarrassing...........

I was told the cart was an '89, but, the plate says its a '92.........

I will post the fix, If/when.........
Old 06-29-2011, 09:24 PM   #6
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89 Club View Post
Well, this is embarrassing...........

I was told the cart was an '89, but, the plate says its a '92.........

I will post the fix, If/when.........
Disconnect the rpm limiter ground wire and see what happens then. If good then OK, second check will be the igniter and coil assy's. If I'm reading correctly you have replaced the igniter so it really only leaves the coil at that point. Gaybay (ebay) has several coil / igniter combination units at well under the replacement costs of each of the separate units. Personally, I would switch out to the combination system and eliminate the three component parts you currently have to just two. There is no known method of testing the coil or igniter that I'm aware of. The buggers will read to within specs on an ohm meter and still be faulty for reasons that are unfathomable to me.

Chris.
invalidsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:41 PM   #7
89 Club
Not Yet Wild

Thanks to all who responded......

After disconnecting the RPM limiter ground, the spark in strong and steady.........

The cart hasn't run this smooth in a long while.........

With the current configuration, and, after a week of testing, the RPM seems fine........

So, I gotta ask: Is it necessary to replace the RPM limiter? I'm wondering if its required for proper function.....
Old 07-06-2011, 10:41 PM   #8
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89 Club View Post
Thanks to all who responded......

After disconnecting the RPM limiter ground, the spark in strong and steady.........

The cart hasn't run this smooth in a long while.........

With the current configuration, and, after a week of testing, the RPM seems fine........

So, I gotta ask: Is it necessary to replace the RPM limiter? I'm wondering if its required for proper function.....
Only if you don't have children or very old people using your cart. Children don't care how fast they go and old people just crash into store fronts or innocent pedestrians. Personally, my limiter is out of the loop and my governor is off limits. I can run at almost 30mph but 25 = 4000 RPM which is my fail safe point and I'm happy at that.

Chris.
invalidsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:44 AM   #9
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by invalidsession View Post
Only if you don't have children or very old people using your cart. Children don't care how fast they go and old people just crash into store fronts or innocent pedestrians. Personally, my limiter is out of the loop and my governor is off limits. I can run at almost 30mph but 25 = 4000 RPM which is my fail safe point and I'm happy at that.

Chris.

chris.....we are gonna be old one day cripes what am i saying i,m old now........move the storefronts people here i come......................
Old 01-25-2013, 10:15 AM   #10
yyolowl
Not Yet Wild

Hmmm, I'm 74. What's old? Is it a disease or something? Is it contagious?
yyolowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car