lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-14-2011, 03:53 AM   #1
TGJR
Gone Wild

Default What would it take to make a PDS cart a good offroad cart?

The end goal here is to have a decent cart for the hunting camp. It's a mixture of somewhat level and hilly terrain. I know a series cart is better suited for this build but if I'm replacing the motor and controller anyways, how far am I from making the PDS cart work the way i need it to?
TGJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-14-2011, 07:27 AM   #2
Spawn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: What would it take to make a PDS cart a good offroad cart?

I would say if your upgrading the Motor and the Controller then just adding the small stuff like cables and Solenoid should do it. Again its more of driving habits. Don't stall it. Vary the speed if possible. Also turn off Regen Braking unless you need it. All that should help.

Don't go to large on tire diameter also will help but the upgraded motor and controller can overcome that some.
Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:52 AM   #3
LostHusker
Just one day at a time

E-Z-GO

I agree with Spawn, now on the motor if you decide on a controller, and get the motor rewound, talk to PQ about how you want to use it. This way they can also help you out with your decision. Good luck and post some pics.
LostHusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:09 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
I would say if your upgrading the Motor and the Controller then just adding the small stuff like cables and Solenoid should do it. Again its more of driving habits. Don't stall it. Vary the speed if possible. Also turn off Regen Braking unless you need it. All that should help.

Don't go to large on tire diameter also will help but the upgraded motor and controller can overcome that some.
My apologies TGJR for Shanghaiing his thread, but I've got a stock PDS cart and do a little off-roading.
Not much, but I have to go cross-country every now and then to avoid high traffic roads and there ain't no level ground in West Virginia.

Not stalling the motor makes sense to me and if you mean don't creep along at slow speeds, so does varying the speed, but what's the reasoning behind turning off the Regen Braking?
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:22 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Regenerative Braking produces more heat than coasting.
I carry a line of high torque PDS motors especially for off road use.
These motors are subject to the same heat problems discussed above but when used with the right controller program, give you the best possible choice for an off road PDS.
As mentioned before a reasonable tire size (22" preferred) and smart driving habits are key factors in the success of such an application.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:46 AM   #6
rib33024

48v would be nice while you are making the change
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:17 AM   #7
Scooter B
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Hey TGJR, I had these same questions, these guys have been alot of help, I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on lift and 22" tires on my PDS, I have the 4 Ga cables to go all the way around and do not do much slow creaping, so I'll see how she does with the stock controller, I plan on going with the 400 amp and new solenoid as soon as I see any signs of trouble with the stock model, but it seems like the regen and slow speeds are the killers on the PDS rides. I have the freedom chip that has the greatest reduction of the regen in place, that should help also. I've talked to a few guys who run lifted PDS carts with the stock controller, and the guys on flat ground seem to be ok, the off road guys (slower driving) seem to have all the problems.

That's what I've learned in my short time here at BGW. Welcome to the madness
Scooter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:19 AM   #8
TGJR
Gone Wild

48v is definitely on the list of initial upgrades. Unfortunately, low-speed "creeping" is one of the things I hope to be doing with it. Finding a series cart is still my first priority. It's just that most dealers and shops don't stock them and while they can get me one, I don't really like the idea of buying a cart sight unseen.
TGJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:33 AM   #9
Spawn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If you plan to do a lot of creeping then get a series cart. Off lease Series should run around 1300 to 1600.
Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:26 AM   #10
greenmonster
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGJR View Post
The end goal here is to have a decent cart for the hunting camp. It's a mixture of somewhat level and hilly terrain. I know a series cart is better suited for this build but if I'm replacing the motor and controller anyways, how far am I from making the PDS cart work the way i need it to?
I have a 2006 PDS Cart with the following specs:

Alltrax DCX500PDS limited to 80% output (purchased for future upgrades)
MZJ400 36V Solenoid
3 amp diode
220 ohm pre-charge resistor
2 Gauge Cables throughout
Stock Motor
23" tires
8" lift
folding back seat

I ride loose sandy, flat logging trails and do lots of creeping- I don't climb hills however. I move my boats & trailers around the yard and have launched my waverunner several times and I have yet to have a shut down or over-heating smell.
Maybe living on borrowed time?
greenmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO