lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-24-2011, 08:01 PM   #1
Scottn29
Not Yet Wild

Default 85 2PG engine rebuild tips

I am about to start rebuilding my engine with a complete rebuild kit. I am just wondering if anybody has some tips for me. I see I need to get the puller for the clutch to get that off. Has anybody came up with a different way of pulling it? I have acouple 2 and 3 jaw pullers. I dont want to spend the $35 bucks for one to use it once.

Otherwise, do you have any tips for me? I have the head pulled off. When I split the case to put the crankshaft in, what the best type of sealer/adhesive to use to put them back together? Do I need to put some grease in the bearing, if so what kind of grease?

This is where I am at now, parts on hand, just have to figure out if I got to order the puller or not.

Scottn29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-25-2011, 08:16 AM   #2
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 85 2PG engine rebuild tips

you can make your own puller. on a 3pg we used a 3" long by 5/8" rod. actually used rebar ground down a bit. the got a 3/4" fine threaded bolt about 3" and used this to pop the clutch. make sure your threads are clean in the clutch. we had to run a tap down it to clean it up.
for sealer you will need a gas resistant type. permatex makes a grey one that works.
no grease on the bearings .just a little 2 stroke oil maybe. the gas mixture will supply the oil.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cam 023.jpg (161.9 KB, 14 views)
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:35 AM   #3
rib33024

82 EZGO 2 stroke engine rebuild
see if this helps

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/manua...ND_REBUILD.pdf

rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:31 AM   #4
Scottn29
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by madoc1 View Post
you can make your own puller. on a 3pg we used a 3" long by 5/8" rod. actually used rebar ground down a bit. the got a 3/4" fine threaded bolt about 3" and used this to pop the clutch. make sure your threads are clean in the clutch. we had to run a tap down it to clean it up.
for sealer you will need a gas resistant type. permatex makes a grey one that works.
no grease on the bearings .just a little 2 stroke oil maybe. the gas mixture will supply the oil.
Thanks for the info. So you just put the rebar down the shaft and used the bolt to push on it?
Old 07-25-2011, 11:32 AM   #5
Scottn29
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rib33024 View Post
I actually watched that late last night after I posted this thread.

The other link is useful, but does not go into anything about splitting the engine block.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:42 PM   #6
jrkapel
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Great video. Thanks
jrkapel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 12:56 AM   #7
skimaniac6
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottn29 View Post
Thanks for the info. So you just put the rebar down the shaft and used the bolt to push on it?
Yep, just get a buddy to hold on to the cooling fins so the shaft doesn't spin. I had to tap mine as well, 20+ years of crap covering the threads. I had to order the fine thread tap from ebay and use lots of lube when you tap it. You might find an impact wrench (air driven) might help, as well as some un choice words and acts of aggression. Make sure you don't have any women or children present. Not really as hard as people make it sound, just take your time.
skimaniac6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:11 AM   #8
racin161
Gone Wild

P B blaster lub goes a long way to free up stuck bolts GREAT STUFF you my want to apply some before tring to remove the clutch.
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:27 AM   #9
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Everything everyone else said plus

To get the clutch off I removed the piston and put a rod through the little end to stop the engine rotating then I stood on the block and got my wife to bounce on the ratchet handle. You could also use an impact wrench but the wife was available and cheaper.

When you split the crankcase hopefully the bearings will stay on the crankshaft. If not apply a little heat. The crankcase will heat up and expand and he bearing will fall out. Don't be tempted to put the case face down and wail on it. You need the mating surfaces to be airtight on reassembly. As Madoc said Mega Grey mastic is good for the crankcase. (As a slight aside I wish that I had painted my crankcases when they were apart, perhaps to match the body, but that horse has bolted).

I took my new crankshaft and bearings to a shop to get them pressed on which I consider to be a good spend of $10. The bearings to crankcase are an interference fit and with plenty of 2 stroke oil as lube I was able to tap the crankcase with a rubber mallet until the 5 crankcase bolts just met the other side and then use them in a criss cross pattern to pull the two halves together.

Make sure that the piston is on the right way around, the port in the skirt must face the carburetor. By a cruel trick of engineering if you get it wrong the engine will run but barely and you will spend days trying to find out why.

I found that the easiest way to get the cylinder back on was to push the piston into the cylinder so the rings are just concealed and then to push in the wrist pin (or as we say in English, the gudgeon pin). Don't forget to fit the gasket between the crankcase and the cylinder. Also don't forget the two spacers the go between the wrist pin and the piston which are not included in the rebuild kit. Also you should face the openings in the spring clips directly down. It's a small point but it helps with engine balance.

As always if you get stuck shout out.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:46 AM   #10
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

what dave said and would like to add to it. when you are putting the piston in the cylinder , oil the cyl. and the piston and rings well. then be sure when inserting the piston that the ring gap is over the locating pin in the ring land. then just squeeze and wiggle. it can be done w/o a ring compressor since the top of the cyl. will be down and you can use both hands. good luck.
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO