lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-04-2011, 07:29 AM   #21
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2002 EZGO will not charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynhigherx View Post
ScottyB,

I measured the battery pack standing voltage at the positive and negative cables on the controller side of cart. Voltage 37.4 VDC.

I plugged the charger in with the two black relay wires connected. I left the volt meter connected during this entire process. Again the charger hummed and the amp meter stayed on 0. The voltage never moved off of 37.4 VDC. Again the power strip trips after a few seconds. When looking for the voltage increase do I need to plug directly into an outlet and let the charger operate for a few minutes or was this test valid? And with the battery pack voltage not changing during this process does it still lead to the charger control board?

Thx again...
What is the load rating for the power strip? If it's 20 AMPs, then plugging the charger into the wall instead isn't going to give a different result.

The fact that the Anmeter does not deflect nor does the voltage increase during the short period of time that the charger is running in bypassed mode leads me to believe you need a replacement charger. It sounds like the transformer has given up the ghost on your current one and a transformer will cost you more than a replacement charger.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-04-2011, 04:10 PM   #22
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
JohnnieB,

Wasn't trying to be a smart butt so if it came off that way I apologize. Keep it up with the info.
I didn't take it that way at all, I got interrupted while typing and left off the smiley face at the end.

Nearly all the info I have can be found here on the forum. I just filter it through a long and diverse set of experiences (that includes teaching electronics and troubleshooting) and try to present it in a more clear and concise manner than it is sometimes presented here.

Please don't take that to mean I am bad mouthing anyone here, especially not Rabbit and Scotty, (they've probably forgotten more than I'll ever know about carts) but I've been reading schematics, wiring diagrams, flow charts and tech manuals most of my adult life and if I can't figure out what is being said, I suspect others might be having difficulties with it also.

John
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:35 PM   #23
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynhigherx View Post
JohnnieB,

Thanks for the help... You guys are amazing...

In your reply you said "If the fuse and ammeter are good and relay doesn't click, you might be spinning your wheels looking elsewhere."

The fuse is good! How do I know the ammeter is ok?

I disassembled the connector and cleaned the Auxiliary Contact and bent it out a bit as well.

Still no clicks or hum! Just crickets

The relay in the charger that should click would be the black box in my second picture to the upper right that has the two black wires connected to it?
By "spinning your wheels", I was referring to looking under the cart's seat when the problem was with the charger. You were getting 37.4v on the charger receptacle pins, so the charger should have turned on. Therefore the problem is between the charger plug and AC wall outlet.

Sorry if I caused any confusion.

How to check an ammeter. The ammeter is in series with the output circuit, so you check it the same way you checked the fuse, with an ohmmeter. You can't tell if it giving you accurate amp readings that way, but you can tell if it is conductive and that is what is needed to complete that portion of the series circuit.

I was called away yesterday and it looks like you found out the bad news.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:42 PM   #24
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post

Please don't take that to mean I am bad mouthing anyone here, especially not Rabbit and Scotty, (they've probably forgotten more than I'll ever know about carts) but I've been reading schematics, wiring diagrams, flow charts and tech manuals most of my adult life and if I can't figure out what is being said, I suspect others might be having difficulties with it also.

John
John, by all means, keep cleaning up my jibberish...... I know I am hard to understand at times, I'm glad you are able to decipher my nonsense and put it in english that makes sense to others.... Plus I enjoy reading your posts.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:58 PM   #25
flynhigherx
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

You guys are awesome!

I really appreciate your time and expertise helping me trouble shoot my cart. The more I learn and understand about my golf cart the more I will enjoy it in the end. Seriously, great job and very much appreciated!

Now off to research the forum for the best replacement charger...

Thanks again!

Mike
flynhigherx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:38 PM   #26
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

P.S. Highflyer, I hope you can better understand now why when you first called why I was so reluctant to delve into teaching diagnostics over the phone as I have such a limited time in each day with the forum, an internet business, and a local repair shop to tend.

As I said there are 30,000 members and while they don't all log on (943 in a day is the record now) all have contributed to the forum archives and many many valuable members like these guys here ~ deserve a hug for the work they do for free here....
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:32 PM   #27
flynhigherx
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

ScottyB,

Hey, I understood before I hung up the telephone with you... I even understand a whole lot better now.

Thanks again!

I will be calling back, however, most likely for a controller next time...

Thanks again!

Mike
flynhigherx is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO