lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-30-2011, 12:26 PM   #1
kevinbydesign
Not Yet Wild

Default 1984 Ez-go 2 stroke No Power- need Help

I have a 1984 ez-go with the stock 244cc 2 cycle engine. It has a serious lack of power. I am a mechanic and i have tried everything i know. I am stumped. I will seriously send a check for $20 to anyone who can tell me what to do to fix it.

The cart will run and start, but barely move. The primary clutch is engaging and the secondary clutch is working as well. With the muffler off the cart moves but barely and never really picks up speed, can't make it up small hill with 1 person. It runs in both forward and reverse. I checked and i don't have the brakes stuck on.

Here is what i tried:

compression test: 120 PSI. did it twice with 2 different compression testers.

It has good spark, i replaced the ignitor and coil and plug, just to be sure though.

It seems to run better with the muffler off. I BBQ-ed my muffler and it still does not have any power with muffler on, then bought a brand new muffler and it still does not have any power. with the muffler off is has more power, but still not as much as it should. Can't even make it up small hills.

I rebuilt the carb. Then put a brand new one on. Then put one on from a cart that was running. All carbs seemed fine. Nothing worked. I really don't think it is a carb issue.

I put in brand new gas, mixed at 100:1, replaced all the fuel lines and the filter.

checked the fuel pump, it was pumping out plenty of fuel, replaced it anyway, made sure to put on a new seal between the pump and the crankcase. No difference.

I visually inspected the crankshaft seals and they look okay. It does not seem like they are leaking, i know that is a common issue with this motor, but would it even run with bad crank seals?

I have no idea what to try next. Reed Valves? Crankcase pressure? Anybody know?

thanks
kevinbydesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-30-2011, 03:07 PM   #2
Plumbergs
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1984 Ez-go 2 stroke No Power- need Help

Does it rev good with the belt off? Whats the width of your belt? Should be around 1 3/16".
Plumbergs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:15 PM   #3
kevinbydesign
Not Yet Wild

i think runs the same with the belt off, no power. It is hard to tell though with no load on it but i tried switching belts off of another running cart and there was no difference.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:40 PM   #4
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Sometimes it is the most obvious solution that evades us so.

Are you sure that the throttle cable is hooked up correctly? Not to the choke lever and not to the governor lever.
Are you sure that when you mash the pedal the throttle is actually opening all the way? How about you drive it without the seat on and get a buddy to hold the lever on the carburetor open by hand to make sure.

Yes I know these questions are monumentally stupid but I have seen on many occasions The obvious eluding the talented.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:07 PM   #5
kevinbydesign
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Box View Post
Sometimes it is the most obvious solution that evades us so.

Are you sure that the throttle cable is hooked up correctly? Not to the choke lever and not to the governor lever.
Are you sure that when you mash the pedal the throttle is actually opening all the way? How about you drive it without the seat on and get a buddy to hold the lever on the carburetor open by hand to make sure.

Yes I know these questions are monumentally stupid but I have seen on many occasions The obvious eluding the talented.

Dave
I checked all that and ran it with the seat off, and the cables off, etc... I know what you are talking about and i assure i checked for all of this stuff. I know the throttle is opening all the way and the choke is not stuck on.

I also tried it with no air cleaner, and there was no difference
Old 11-30-2011, 06:37 PM   #6
onlyonmonday
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Try Seafoam.

Does it have bad fuel pumping even from crap lines ??.
onlyonmonday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:36 PM   #7
racin161
Gone Wild

Looks like you've covered all the important stuff I think now its time to replace the crank seals. Yes it could run with low crankcase pressure. 1 seal leaking ? both ? and mix at 128:1 or 1oz per gallon. Maybe change the mix first........
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:35 PM   #8
1lane66
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Kevinbydesign,,, You my friend have just described the same problem I've been having to a "T" for some time now. I have done everything you have done even rebuilt the top end of mine with no increase in power. Mine will only move at a walk in fwd or rvs. Have over 120psi and good crank case pressure. I don't think my seals are bad and there is no end play in them at all. I've tried spraying WD40 around the carb, the fuel pump, the intake manifold that the carb is hooked to and where it goes to the cylinder, also around crank case seals and halves and found no leaks and no change in the engine speed while I was doing this,,the rpm's should have changed if there was a leak. I've also ran out of ideas and have not touched mine in 3 weeks,,,to fustrating and no ideas. If you get yours running maybe your solution will help me with mine. Luck,,,Donald
1lane66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:33 PM   #9
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Did you rebuild the engine? This is the classic symptom of the piston being 180 out of alignment?

You are premixing the fuel. Did you tightly seal off the old oil line to prevent air being sucked in? Yes I know I am clutching at straws but if you did all the things you did then we could be looking at a crankcase air leak preventing transfer of fuel to the piston.

Donald I forgot that you were still not running. Lets get these to suckers (the carts not the people running)

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:57 PM   #10
kevinbydesign
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Box View Post
Did you rebuild the engine? This is the classic symptom of the piston being 180 out of alignment?

You are premixing the fuel. Did you tightly seal off the old oil line to prevent air being sucked in? Yes I know I am clutching at straws but if you did all the things you did then we could be looking at a crankcase air leak preventing transfer of fuel to the piston.

Donald I forgot that you were still not running. Lets get these to suckers (the carts not the people running)

Dave
I put the intake manifold on it that does not have the port for the oil injection on it and i always mix the gas. It ran like this for years until now.

Has anybody ever heard of carbon build up on the reed valves? Are they not opening all the way?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO