lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-27-2012, 08:10 PM   #1
EZGOfixer
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 84 2pg EZGO sputtering

I have the same issue as the thread: 87 2PG EZGO sputtering

I read the thread and tried the repairs up to "HEI upgrade with new TFI coil"
Is this a new coil?

I'm not sure what HEI or TFI stands for and if they apply to my 1984 2pg.

Currently I have cleaned the carb, no leaks at crankshaft seals, fresh fuel, new fuel filter.

Possibly timing an issue?
EZGOfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-27-2012, 09:09 PM   #2
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 84 2pg EZGO sputtering

Did this just start all of a sudden?Have you tried a new spark-plug and is the gap set?Does running it with the choke improve things?When you cleaned the carb,did you run torch-tip cleaners thru all the jets and flush the carb with carb-cleaner and compressed air?How is the compression?Is the starter kicking in/out(weak solenoid?).Answers to these questions will help get in the right direction.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:47 AM   #3
EZGOfixer
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for suggestions.

I recently did a top end rebuild and without the belt attached I was getting high rpms and drive clutch was fully engaging.

I need to re-test compression after rebuild- borrowed tool out so that is for another day.

I just took apart and flushed and cleaned carburator and ran wire through all jets.

Choking it while runningdoes not improve- wants to die when running and choked. The starter is not kicking on while running.

Put WD 40 at crankshaft seal and it did not change how it ran. Didn't get to seal by flywheel though.

Just put on two new fuel filters. It has a new spark plug set to 0.030

Question, what is the setting/turns for the pilot adjusting screw?

It will run fine on half pedal depressed but when I fully depress the petal it sputters and backfires.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:46 PM   #4
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Does it run better in reverse?If it performs good in reverse and not forward,Seals are the culprit.Also,is the float-level set correctly?Too low and it will starve for fuel.It sounds like a fuel issue,but hard to diagnose accurately from here.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:54 PM   #5
EZGOfixer
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I'll look into the float level. It runs about the same in reverse, backfires a bit more though.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:58 PM   #6
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Check timing,it may have moved.You will have to pull the flywheel,so may as well do the seals while you are in there.Also,try removing the muffler.If plugged,it will definitely kill performance.Also,did you put the piston in the proper position when you assembled it?If its' facing backwards,it will throw the port-timing way off.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:14 PM   #7
EZGOfixer
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Right now it seems to backfire for about 20 seconds in fwd and reverse (a bit more in rev) then the backfiring stops and runs smooth but doesn't seem to reach full rpm or speed.

I checked the piston, in correctly. Float level/tangs checked. I BBQ'd the muffler- it has a rattle. Did not notice any improvement in rpm when I opened up it up a bit between exhaust pipe and muffler.

I'm about to dive into the timing. That is adjusting the pulsar correct? How much adjustment/movement do you recommend?
Old 02-05-2012, 09:20 AM   #8
racin161
Gone Wild

EZGO I don't think the timing has changed as you haven't been in that side (flywheel) I would go ahead and change both seals at this point (drive side & flywheel side) while in the flywheel side your going to have to remove the pulsar plate assy two little screws that are placed in the middle of the slots look close at the position of the screws and mark the plate & case so on reassembly it can be placed in the original position as removed this is your timing. Also look for any broke or lose wires on the pulsar if it's ok your good to go. Now if the problem persist it's time for the HEI upgrade as your ignitor may be going south and there is no way to check it. $50 upgrade or $200 ignitor ? Your call. Hope this helps.

LOU
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:59 PM   #9
EZGOfixer
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I am happy to say the old 1984 Marathon is on the road and going top speed.

The fix it needed was an HEI upgrade. I didn't have an Advance Auto parts in area but I used an Autozone Duralast DR100 ignition control module Part number 115808 Cost $27.00

Now I am experiencing some backfiring while starting. It does not backfire when running at any other speeds.

Any thoughts on the causes- carb issues?

My muffler does have a rattle inside and I am also wondering if I should address that issue too.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:31 PM   #10
racin161
Gone Wild

Try to reverse the pulsar wires and see if that does the trick. Sometimes for some reason you may have to do this. Check back after you try that K. Rattle in the muffler? don"t worry about that the baffle has broken loose but won't effect the operation
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO