lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-14-2012, 11:01 AM   #11
CartTrader
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Battery break in

Thanks Scotti, Johnnie and all the rest. That is a BIG relief off my mind!!! From now on I`ll just set it for 12 hours and let it go!! Don`t know if I should start another thread or go on from this one. We`ll start with this one.

State of charge meter. Even after a full charge DVM reading of 38.29v after sitting 8 hrs. The charge meter is still down to the fifth bar. It never moves. it has been there since I bought the cart with the old batteries. I just thought the old batteries were causing this effect. It is the meter that comes with the cart. What could be causing this effect?

Thanks

CartTrader
CartTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-14-2012, 11:11 AM   #12
rib33024

I have the same charger on my 84 ezgo, with the charger nob on off, i plug the charger in to the cart, it will click, then plug the charger in to the wall, then I put the nob on start and it starts charging and will turn off all by it's self in about 5 hours, been doing this for years with no problems.
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:21 AM   #13
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CartTrader View Post
Well that does answer my next question. I have noticed when I plugged it into the cart, a click would be heard from the charger. Now that is with the charger plugged into the wall. I just went and checked. It also does it unplugged from the wall. Now that all being said. I still have to set the "timer" for a set amount of time before it will start charging. Are you saying that it will shut down prior to elapsed time on timer if batteries are up to shutoff voltage?

CartTrader
I believe there are a couple different flavors to the Green- Face Total Charge, or owners have done some creative wiring on some of them.

Here is how it is supposed to be used:

Total Charge with timer (LR69689)
Operation:
With the charger plugged into an AC source (wall outlet), turn the timer fully counterclockwise to the off position.
Plug the cord into the cart receptacle and you should hear the charger "click".
Now turn the timer fully clockwise to the start position and observe that the charger comes on (hums) and the amp meter jumps to approximately 20 amps.
The amps will slowly decrease down to 1-3 amps as the batteries reach full charge.
The charger will completely charge the batteries and automatically shut off when complete and the timer will stop, indicating how long it took to charge the batteries.

Electrically, the relay on the control board feeds AC power to the Timer motor and a set of contacts within the timer that feeds AC power to the Transformer primary.
The control board has to sense a battery pack voltage of 28-30V or greater to energize the relay. (Relay will energize whether Charger is plugged into AC Power or not - The battery pack voltage is what closes it)
The timer has to be in the "Start" position for it to pass the AC power to the Transformer. (Some will do so in anything except the "OFF" position)
The timer motor starts running and counting the hours AC Power is applied to it. (Note that the timer dial counts UP from Start)
When Battery voltage reaches the cut-off point (Typically 44-46 volts), the control board de-energizes the relay, removing AC Power from timer motor and timer contacts that feed Transformer primary.
At this poiunt, the battery pack is charged and the timer is indicating how log it took to charge batteries.

IF the shut-off voltage is not reached within 12Hours (Max time on timer) the AC Power contacts inside the timer will open, terminating the charge. (Safety feature)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:32 AM   #14
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CartTrader View Post
Thanks Scotti, Johnnie and all the rest. That is a BIG relief off my mind!!! From now on I`ll just set it for 12 hours and let it go!! Don`t know if I should start another thread or go on from this one. We`ll start with this one.

State of charge meter. Even after a full charge DVM reading of 38.29v after sitting 8 hrs. The charge meter is still down to the fifth bar. It never moves. it has been there since I bought the cart with the old batteries. I just thought the old batteries were causing this effect. It is the meter that comes with the cart. What could be causing this effect?

Thanks

CartTrader
Set it to "Start"

As for the bar graph meter, when the battery is fully charged (38.2? Volts), disconnect the + lead for 5 minutes and then reconnect.
If that doesn't light up the top segment, the meter is probably bad, or mis-wired.
Save yourself a lot of headaches and get a DVM type SoC meter.
Those bar graph types lie more than some politicians.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:17 PM   #15
CartTrader
Gone Wild

Club Car

Ok did as you said, full charge, disconnected + wire(cable) for 5 minutes or more. Hooked back up,turned on key and voila, full bars. Turned off went inside for a few minutes and came back out. Turned on key to take a ride, back down 5 bars again!! Now what? Bad meter? May get a digital meter later but want to make this work for now if possible.

CartTrader
CartTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:28 AM   #16
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Sounds like your bar graph meter only lights up when key is on, which means it is a three wire type and could be mis-wired.

See attached drawing. If wires to terminals 1 & 4 are reversed, it would reset every time it was turned on, but the symptom for that is the meter indicating a full charge when battery pack is actually low, so that probably isn't the problem.

If you reset the meter right after the batteries came off charge, it would have be set to a higher than normal voltage for "Full Charge"
Try resetting after surface charge depletes and pack voltage is about 38.2V.

If that doesn't do the trick, my guess is that the bar graph meter is FUBAB.

BTW - Check the pack voltage with a DMM when the bar graph is saying it is low.
It just might be telling the truth, but I seriously doubt it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Keyswitch wiring PDS.JPG (92.7 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO