lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-01-2012, 02:52 PM   #1
jstarsick
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Question Pulling clutch from Marathon

I'm getting ready to do a top end rebuild on a 1991 Marathon with the 3pg engine. I plan on replacing the crank case seals at the same time but I am having trouble removing the drive clutch. As I understand it there should be threads at the top of the hole where the 6" bolt goes in and attaches to the shaft. This is not the case on my clutch.

I was thinking of attempting to pull it in the way pictured below. The picture is staged there is no pressure on anything. I figure this is a bad idea for one reason or another. Any thoughts on how to do it without damaging anything?

jstarsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-01-2012, 03:18 PM   #2
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Pulling clutch from Marathon

Using that style puller will likely just break the clutch-sheaves.I wonder if someone was in there before and wrecked the threads?Never seen a clutch on carts or sleds without threads for a puller.Try the Grease-Gun trick,there is a Thread on how to do it.It will Hydraulically pop the clutch off.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 05:17 PM   #3
jstarsick
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I'll give the grease trick a try. I can see threads about a 1/2" inch in but the opening at the top is narrower than the inside.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:27 PM   #4
gwbrehm
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

I just had mine off last week, it appears from your pics that you still have the washer on the clutch. I imagine its stuck on there and needs to be gently pried off and it will expose the threads inside.
gwbrehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:52 AM   #5
racin161
Gone Wild

I'm with GW wire brush the top and spray with lube then remove the washer its a thick washer. You'll then get to the threads.

LOU
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:03 AM   #6
DonoBBD
Not Yet Wild

Do you have the correct puller. There is not much threads in the end of the crank of the motor. The pullers tip needs to be based out before you run out of threads on the crank shaft.

The grease works for me every time. Shoot some in there first then crank the puller in as far as you can with a 3/8 ratchet. Then tap the puller with a hammer and it should pop off in your hands. Make sure you use some brake cleaner to clean up the crank stub the best you can before putting it back on. You may not get it to seat later.

Cheers Don.
DonoBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:08 PM   #7
jstarsick
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Well now I just feel silly.... Yes the washer was still on the clutch taking it off exposed the threads.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:37 AM   #8
jstarsick
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Got it off...That was incredibly hard. I had to put a pipe wrench wrench on the clutch to get it off. It left some marks on the clutch shaft but the clutch action (sliding up and down on the shaft) seems ok. Hope I did not do any real damage.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO