lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-22-2013, 05:48 AM   #1
ProjectClubCar
Gone Broke

Club Car

Default cart fubar

so i just got from brookston indianna, mother-inlaw passed away a few weeks ago, and my wife and i had to take care of the arrangments.
while i was away, my son borrowed my cart, he got the cart stuck trying to cross a bayou,while going to get a truck to pull it out, the tide came in. he says he did not start it, but there is salt water in the motor, and muck all over my cart. the cart has just been sitting for over 2 weeks, is so%&*()_ mad, i dont know were to start.
will start on it today after i catch up on work,might be a late day......
ProjectClubCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-22-2013, 06:24 AM   #2
nobuckbuild
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: cart fubar

you don't want to turn every bolt on you cart again? oh yeah and don't forget the flash rust oh what joy. looks like you son just got a summer job.
nobuckbuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:26 AM   #3
BumbleBee
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

That sucks! it's' possible he's telling the truth. if you have salt water in the oil, then it just got in around the seals. if it's in the carb and top of the cylinder then he tried to start it and pumped it in to the motor.

Change the oil, and pull the plugs. try to crank it. if water comes out the plug holes then he tried to run it. if you suspect any chance of corrosion spray down the cylinders with WD-40 and let it sit over night then try to run it. chances are unless it was completely submerged, it will be fine.

don't blame you for being p!ssed, it would be a cold day in H3ll Before he got my cart again!

Good luck to you!

Arin
BumbleBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:38 AM   #4
shoelessjoe
Gone Wild

^^^

Yup, if he didn't try to start it you should be ok and you can have it back up and running in no time. Happens with snowmobiles all the time. Even if there is water in the motor you can pull the plug out and pump the water out and change the oil and filter as well. I would then fog the cylinder with WD40 or a fogging oil and let it sit for a bit before starting it.

Sounds like it was turned off when it became submerged so that's a good thing. You don't want it running at speed when it sucks up the water. Even if he just tried starting it (allowing it to suck in some water) afterwards you likely won't have any internal damage so you should be good to go after blowing the water out.
shoelessjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:07 AM   #5
crash test dummy

Quote:
and muck all over my cart.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:56 PM   #6
onemorebeer
Gone Wild

my buddy had a boat with a 4cyl chevy. It sat submerged for a week in salt water before he found it. His father in law, a old marine wrench told him to drain it, pull the plugs, fill it with marvel mystery oil , hand turn it every day, for a week, then drain the marvel out. Boat still runs, that was at least 5 years ago. Made me a believer in that stuff.
onemorebeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:19 PM   #7
TRP
Gone Wild

At the end of the day, the kid is still alive and nobody died,....yet.

Let's keep this in perspective. You're lucky that this wasn't an electric cart! You'd be in a whole heap of 'muck'.

Drain the oil and the fuel tank. You may have lost some of the relays and the battery. Your wiring loom is going to be a 'wait and see' (salt water + 12v = green wires). The starter / generator may be funky as well. It may sound dumb, but a lot of the stuff you read says the water isn't that bad, it's the salt that gets you. So, read up a bit, but you may want to flush the starter with water and then spray it down really well with some lube.

Put some MMO (the thick red stuff) in the cylinder, let it sit and then give it a crank or two (without the spark plug in) so that it coats the cylinder walls and the rings. I'd put some in the case too. Crank it over by hand. Let it get all lubed up.

After a week or so, drain it all, fill it with oil and fuel. You may be surprised. Your son may get the privilege of sponsoring the entire effort with his wallet. He should also be there to help turn the wrenches.

At the end of the day - remember it could be worse. It could be a sparky cart!

Ted
TRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:28 PM   #8
ProjectClubCar
Gone Broke

Club Car

Angry Re: cart fubar

NO pics......to mad!!!!!!
my son borrowed a pressure washer,and sprayed everything down, including micro switches, stereo, speakers, any and everything was not safe!!!!( i did mention HIGH PRESSURE)
as far the clutchs,there gonna need some more help. took the carb off, its sittin on the bench, drained the muck, filled it with diesel, drained it again, lots more muck came out, did that 2 more times, pulled the spark plug ,no water but i did noticed grit,stuck an air hose in and cleaned best i could and filled it with marvels, and filled the crank case, will clean the carb tomorrow and put fresh oil in it.
sad thing about this whole thing, my son is 28, hanging head in shame looking down at the ground.............
ProjectClubCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:38 PM   #9
crash test dummy

**** !!! 28 !!!!
Old 05-22-2013, 06:55 PM   #10
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

OUCH! I used to deal with boats that had been under water and if you are quick about it, you can clean out and salvage the motor. We used to leave them soaking in fresh water until we could get to work on them. Once air gets to them, the steel will rust in a matter of hours.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car