lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Melex

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-03-2014, 08:58 PM   #1
Lumlo
Not Yet Wild

Default Melex dead in the water.

Hi all, new at this electric cart stuff. I bought a Melex cart in fairly good condition but was not running. I think it might be a 212 but am not sure serial #164112, no idea of the year either. I thought possibly the batteries were dead or bad when I picked it up. I took it home and charged it overnight, it was pulling about 6 amps. This morning the charger showed zero pull, aftermarket headlight worked, and the reverse buzzer worked with the key on and pedal pressed. But no movement whatsoever in either forward or reverse. Started checking the circuits I have 35.6 volts (is that enough?) from battery one - to battery six +. The ignition switch seems to be right, solenoid clicks and makes contact when the pedal is depressed. I have juice all the way back to the motor, but the funny thing is both A1 & A2 show hot (at the same time) with the test light in forward or reverse. Is that right? isn't that the reversing legs to the motor. I'd rather not pull the motor unless I'm sure it needs work. Any suggestions work be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Tony Cottage Grove OR.
Lumlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-03-2014, 09:57 PM   #2
Bmatlock00
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Melex dead in the water.

35.6 volts is really low, 38.2 is fully charged, I'm guessing the batteries are toast and are dropping under load when the pedal is pressed.
Bmatlock00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:14 AM   #3
Kal
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Hey Tony, is your cart a greenish teal and white by chance?
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:00 PM   #4
Lumlo
Not Yet Wild

Bmat, that's what I thought on the low voltage, could it be just one battery pulling down the rest? Rather not spend $800-1k on batteries. But shouldn't the motor at least buzz at 35 volts?, I get nothing. Next step, take out the batteries and load test each one?

Kal, here are pictures of the cart, do you know it?

I've own it for less than 48 hours, but am eager to get it running.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1050217.JPG (126.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg P1050218.JPG (175.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg P1050219.JPG (150.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg P1050220.JPG (119.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-04-2014, 12:14 PM   #5
Kal
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

No, don't know it. There is a teal/white one that has been advertised on Craigslist for a very long time, I thought that may have been it. Last I saw it was at $50 obo. It needed a rebuilding of the rearend but the guy had the parts too do it. I passed on it because I have too many carts laying around and after doing research it's hard to find melex parts, especially in the aftermarket.

There is a way to test the motor by way of 12v battery, but you would have to look up on this site to see how it's exactly done. What you could also possibly do is put a tester on the whole pack leads and see what the voltage drops down to with the pedal pressed.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:31 PM   #6
Lumlo
Not Yet Wild

see what the voltage drops down to with the pedal pressed.

I think that's what I'll do today.

Story on the cart was...... worked well last summer, then we had the freeze this winter and the cart was dead come spring. That's why I thought the batteries were problem, but when I saw 35v I thought the motor should a least buzz a little. I will research the 12v test.

Thanks, Tony
Old 04-04-2014, 12:46 PM   #7
Kal
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

My first thought would have been batteries too actually. Based off your pics what I would also suggest cleaning the terminals. It doesn't look like the previous owner took very good care of it. Bad connections could also be a part of your problem. On a sidenote there is a battery state of charge chart on the site somewhere. It tells you at how many volts is what percentage of charge. It would give you a good guide on how bad your pack really is and also when to recharge, which from what the people who know a lot more than I do say should not drop below 50% before waiting to recharge. Below 50% and they say it could damage the pack.

Just out of curiosity what are your plans for this cart?
Old 04-04-2014, 01:14 PM   #8
Lumlo
Not Yet Wild

I know that the connections are poor, I will disconnect the pack, clean all terminals and voltage check each battery separately, should give me a clue. then if they show a voltage differential. I'll discharge and load test each. I just can't get past the lack of motor activity at 35v, I need someone to tell me that's normal. To me (in a car) a low battery still gives me some starter motor response.

Usage?
I have 25 acres, will use it for land management tasks and run to the mail box 1/2 a mile away, besides that, nothing special.

Been reading up on the motor test, I'll give that a try also, and post the results.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:46 PM   #9
Lumlo
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Melex dead in the water UPDATE

After some tinkering and cart on jack stands (brake off) when the pedal is pushed I have 38.5 volts to wires attached to the brushes, no voltage draw down or motor movement. I sprayed the commutator with contact cleaner while spinning the motor, checked the brush springs (good). Still Dead. Help! Any suggestions?
Old 04-04-2014, 04:59 PM   #10
Kal
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I'm running out of them. Try messaging a guy on here by the name of JohnnieB. He's a wiz with electric cart systems and how they work. He might have some ideas to help you.

Tags
212, melex
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Melex