lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-27-2014, 05:00 PM   #1
jlloyd
Getting Wild

Default 2pg rebuild gasket dressing

Ok guys, I know this has been ask before but for those of you that have done a rebuild on a 2pg.... What did you use as a gasket dressing on crankcase to cylinder, reed valve gasket and maybe ever at carb? I'm gonna use permatex anoroebic gasket maker at crank case halves but for the other areas...? All the rtv,s I've looked at said ; not recommended where gas is present or hi temps....
It's like if you find a sealer that is for hi temps, package says not for gas and if you find one that withstands gas, it is not for hi temps....

Also on another note, I plan to use a loctite bearing mount product to help hold the bearings in place in one of my engines that have some wear in the housing,...
But again I'm having trouble picking the right locktite....
I want to be able to take it back apart later if I have to and since I won't be able to get to the bearings to heat them up so I can take the case back apart next time, I'm not sure what to get. They have #660, #641, #609, #648, #620, #680, #603... All are for retaining sleeves and bearings in housings and onto shafts.... Some are for heat up to 300 degrees some are for up to 450 degrees
How hot does it get in the crank case anyways??? Anybody every used any of these?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-27-2014, 05:24 PM   #2
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

Default Re: 2pg rebuild gasket dressing

Subscribed. I wanna know the answers to these questions myself for when I do my engine. (Tracking # says it'll be here tomorrow! )
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 05:49 PM   #3
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

This is what GM uses on their intake manifolds. http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/p...2194/7160017-P

If it had a gasket, I didn't use anything. I used Loctite 609 on the seals, and staked them. Between the case halves I used an aircraft fuel tank sealer. I know you won't be using that, but it really is the best stuff going.

I would think that your max temps are around 400° F at the hottest point. I don't think the crankcase gets anywhere near that. Pure aluminum melts at 800° F, and loses structural integrity way before that.

EDIT: 800° F is a number I have been carrying with me ever since my first days in aircraft maintenance school 33 years ago. After doing a little googling Everything I see says 1220° F, and 660° C. I'm not sure where the instructor got that number, or if I heard him wrong. We set our heat treat ovens at 900° F. I always wondered about that, but thought it was because we use an alloy, not pure aluminum.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:11 PM   #4
jlloyd
Getting Wild

Yeah, I looked at the ultra grey the other day. And it even says not for use with parts that contact gasoline...

Old 05-27-2014, 09:41 PM   #5
Morgan44
Gone Wild

Is there a reason you don't want use gaskets?
Morgan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:44 PM   #6
jlloyd
Getting Wild

Just wanted to use something along with the gaskets, just want to better my chances of not having to do this all again if a gasket fails

Old 05-27-2014, 09:45 PM   #7
jlloyd
Getting Wild

And the gasket that they send for cylinder is just paper

Old 05-27-2014, 09:46 PM   #8
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Those motors have been assembled without additional sealants for decades. There is no reason to change it. Let the gaskets do their job.
Adding a sealant is just asking for trouble. Don't over-think it.
Anaerobic on the crank case halves is what I use and it is effective.
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO