lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Melex

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-30-2014, 01:49 PM   #1
Jorge
Not Yet Wild

Default 3x12v versus 6x6volt

Just got my very first cart(almost free): Melex 112 S/N 145874 without batteries. Want to check it out before investing $$$ on a new set of 6v. Any harm to CART or BATTERIES by testing with 3 x 12v automotives?
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-30-2014, 03:04 PM   #2
TrickCart
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 3x12v versus 6x6volt

I just did the same thing, I got a 2002 ez-go txt pds cart for free. The 6v batteries were toast but before dropping $600-700 on new ones, I wanted to run a three 12v battery setup. The cart runs perfect, the range is dramatically less than it would be with the proper 6v since the amperage hours are alot lower. (5-7 miles vs 20-30 miles). Just make sure you have everything hooked up properly and the batteries fully charged. The more you wear down the 12 volt batteries and recharge the more damage you'll do to them. They arent designed for the kind of use.
TrickCart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:00 PM   #3
Epb
Gone Wild
Club Car

You may want to pull the motor for cleaning. If u do you can test the motor with 12v
A1 to battery S1 connected to A2 and S2 to battery. You are just checking for rotation and less resistance out of cart. You can also use a battery charger, just dont hold it very long on the terminals.
Epb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 12:02 AM   #4
rib33024

You shouldn't run a golf cart motor out of the cart, the motor needs to be bolted to the rear end to test it. the bearing for the front of the motor is in the rear end, the input shaft has a bearing and that is what supports the front of the armature. With the motor out of the cart there is no support for the front of the motor, you can eat up the armature testing out of the cart
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 01:08 PM   #5
Jorge
Not Yet Wild

Thanks all! Just wanted to be sure before doing something stupid. No real experience in any of this and high school physics lab was many moons ago.

Also the wiring diagrams for Melex that I found on Vintage Golf Cart site don't cover this low a serial number. Since I got the cart without batteries, taking a pic isn't an option. Any ideas?
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 02:12 PM   #6
sunking
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
Just got my very first cart(almost free): Melex 112 S/N 145874 without batteries. Want to check it out before investing $$$ on a new set of 6v. Any harm to CART or BATTERIES by testing with 3 x 12v automotives?
No problem at all assuming the 12 volt battery capacity (Amp Hours) is high enough to supply the rather large start up current to get the cart moving.
sunking is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Melex